cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 12.5 VDI issues with SQL2008

Bao_Li
Level 2
Hello,

I'm trying to backup a SQL2008 database and I'm being thrown errors regarding VDI.  My current configuration is as follows

Backup Exec 12.5 running on Server 2003 R2 32bit
SQL remote agent
SQL 2008 running on Server 2008 R2 64bit

The following failure is received:

Final error: 0xe000035c - The Microsoft SQL Server virtual device interface (VDI) has failed to initialize. This is often caused by not having a required SQL service pack or hot fix installed. Running SQLExpress on Windows Vista or Windows Server 2008 requires service pack 2 plus hot fix V4 or later. Final error category: Resource Errors For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-860

I did manage to get it to work for about a week after installing the SQL2005 compatibility pack but it suddenly stopped working and now I'm stumped.  All the solutions I found on the internet point to a software configuration that we are not using.  I've tried removing the compatibility pack and reinstalling it as well as reregistering the sqlvdi.dll without success.
2 REPLIES 2

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Did you try to resolve the problem with the solutions in this document

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/302783.htm

Bao_Li
Level 2

Yes I have and they do not work.  Like I mentioned, the solutions I found so far are not for my software configuration.