cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Limiting Backups or Connections

Local_Admin
Level 3
The Background Details:

- I have three backup devices: 2x B2D and 1xLT04. As a result we usually have multiple backups running at the same time.
- Some of our backups are quite large (10TB or more) and as a result there are instances when our backups are behind schedule.
- Our Exchange backups are consistently failing.

I believe that the Exchange jobs are failing because multiple jobs are hitting the Exchange server at one time which is breaking VSS. I have applied every VSS hotfix and service pack to no avail.  When I put all of our Exchange jobs on hold and then run them one by one individually they all run perfectly.

So my question:

Is it possible to restrict the number of concurrent jobs that can be ran against a specific remote agent, server or IP address?  I still want there to be multiple jobs running at one time on the Media Server (SQL, File servers, etc) but I only want one job to be allowed to hit the Exchange server at a time.

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3

teiva-boy
Level 6
What you need to look into are policies.  Here you can limit to a single job, and chain the jobs to happen one after another, so that the entire server completes.

Local_Admin
Level 3

We've been using policies to schedule all of our jobs since 11D.

Perhaps their functionality has changed, I will re-investigate.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Local_Admin
Level 3
- We currently have five Exchange Storage Groups and Databases.

In Backup Exec:
- Selection Lists are applied to the entire Backup Exec Policy
- If the Selection List is applied to the policy then each of the templates will be defined against that selection list.

How would you suggest we create a policy that backs up one storage group and then starts the job for the next?

From my understanding of policies they are to be used for Daily, Weekly, Monthly (Grandfather-father-son backup) style backups.