cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 12.5 (Windows 2003) unable to backup Windows 2008 R2

Lim_Shann
Level 3

Hi All,

I just purchased a new server Windows 2008 R2 and I will need to backup the data on this new server.

Details of Media Server:  12.5 2213 (no updates) is running on Windows 2003 (on domain abc)

Details of Server that need to be backup:  Remote agent 64bit is running on Windows 2008 R2 (on domain cde)

Ports opened between: 10000, 445, 1026

I am able to add the remote server under 'User Defined' (using local admin account - cdeadmin) and able to select the files and folders.  Once I run the backup, it failed:

Completed Status: Failed

Final error: 0xe000fe30 - A communications failure has occurred.

Final error category: Server Errors

V-79-57344-65072 - The connection to target system has been lost.  Backup set canceled.

Did I open wrong ports?  If I am able to add the remote server and view tree directory means the account used is okay, am I right?  

Any help or advise is greatly appreciated!  Thanks.  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

1. Yes it is, as long as it is set up correctly. Ideally you want a trust between the domains, with your Backup Exec service account added to the remote domain's Domain Admins group. From there, just add the server in and set it up as per normal.

2. & 3. SP4 is better to install. More fixes etc, so install this via LiveUpdate and then run it again to install any subsequent patches. A manual installation will be fine, as long as the remote server is publishing back to the media server correctly.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

CraigV

Hi,

You need to load the latest SP for BE 12.5 which supports Windows Server 2008 R2 remote backups. Once you do this, push-install these updates to the Windows Server 2008 R2 server and you should be able to back it up.

Thanks!

EDIT: Here is confirmation of the patch needed:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH75697

Lim_Shann
Level 3

Hi Craig,

Appreciated the fast response.  I have a few questions here:

1) Media Server is capable of backing up server on a different domain?  I am new to this as my previous experience only deal with backing up within same domain.  

2) The article you provided said SP2 plus Hotfix 331998.  So after I install SP2 and Hotfix on BE, I need to copy RAWS-64bit and reinstall on Win 2008 R2?  I am unable to push down... need to install manually.  The hotfix need to apply on Win2008R2?    

3) I saw another forum post saying SP4 for 12.5.  Do I need this?  

Thanks!!

CraigV

Hi,

1. Yes it is, as long as it is set up correctly. Ideally you want a trust between the domains, with your Backup Exec service account added to the remote domain's Domain Admins group. From there, just add the server in and set it up as per normal.

2. & 3. SP4 is better to install. More fixes etc, so install this via LiveUpdate and then run it again to install any subsequent patches. A manual installation will be fine, as long as the remote server is publishing back to the media server correctly.

Thanks!

Lim_Shann
Level 3

Hi Craig,

I will try it out.  Thanks once again.  

pkh
   VIP    Certified

1) When you apply a SP or HF to BE, the RAWS is also updated.  All you need is to install the RAWS on the remote server either by pushing it out or manually installing it.  There is no need to apply the SP or HF on the remote server.

2) Make sure that the following ports are opened between the media server and the remote server.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO22988