cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 12.5 all backup information gone!

soty5083
Level 2

Hello,

I have symantec backup exec 12.5 on our server. It is set to back up all information on the server. The problem is in the last couple of weeks the server has lost all data in backup exec. When I mean all data. I mean there is no backup job, no history of a backup job, or history of it ever being backing up. So I am not sure what needs to be done to fix this issue, as I need a fix as I check it everyday and have to reenter the data for it to back up and find tomorrow it hasnt backed up at all.

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3

lmosla
Level 6

Check out your settings in Tools < Options < Database Maintenance and make sure your information is set to be kept long enough.

Also if the settings look ok follow the steps in this document http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH67239 to run an extensive database repair with BEUtility (found in Drive Letter>:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\)

Verify you have enough space where the Backup Exec database is located. This is usually located at Drive Letter>:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\Data.  If you are low on space you can move your database to a location that has more space by following the steps listed here. http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH37752

Let me know if this helps,

soty5083
Level 2

I have looked for the file that you have asked me to see if there was enough room. I can not find the file in the location you have specified.  I am running windows server 2003. The settings are fine, its just acting like it isnt even there. When it was there running from last Thursday.

Jaydeep_S
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

This looks more like a database issue to me. Are there any event IDs regarding this. Also you could try to go to Tools -> options -> Database Maintainance and try to disable this for troublehsooting purpose. Also browse to Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\logs and locate dbrecover.log. This should have a few errors in it. It ould be helpful if you could post the file here.

Are you backing up the Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\Data in any of your daily backups. If yes, restore this file from a backup when BE had all the settings in place. Once this is done, copy this restored file to Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\data folder and use 'Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\beutility.exe' to recover the database from backup.