cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 12.5 backup keeps failing.

sbs
Level 3

Help please my BE 12.5 server on Windows sbs2008 x64 - Fully patched no updates available (SP4 + Up to Date hotfixes) - No OS changes installed. Has started to fail and I have been unable to complete a backup for a while now. Backup is to an DDS4 tape drive and I believe it fails with AOFO (although it is not selected it uses it whether you like it or not). It has worked for several months without an issue then started to fail. The sequence ofl logged  events is as follows

Event ID 34113: Backup Exec Alert: Job Failed

(Server: "SERVER1") (Job: "Daily Backup") Daily Backup -- The job failed with the following error: The Backup Exec job engine system service is not responding.

Event ID 7034: The Backup Exec Job Engine service terminated unexpectedly.  It has done this 1 time(s).

Event ID 1000: Faulting application bengine.exe, version 12.5.2213.180, time stamp 0x4c6d499a, faulting module bengine.exe, version 12.5.2213.180, time stamp 0x4c6d499a, exception code 0xc0000005, fault offset 0x000000000023956d, process id 0x1b5c, application start time 0x01cbbfe057125017.

The only service that fails is the BE engine all other services are up and running

If I Run a System State and Shadow Copy separately to either tape or disk it works fine.

I have been troubleshooting this for a while & checked the VSSADMIN WRITERS before the job started and again when it failed.shows, prior to the start all writers are stable with no errors. When the job fails, checking again I have 2 writers that have a different status

Shadow Copy Optimization Writer

Microsoft Exchange Writer

Both say stable but with a state (5) Waiting for completion.....Which I believe is the reason the job fails as the service has gone down the job just fails with no feedback that I can find.

I have tried restarting the services, stopping all the Backup Exec jobs running then starting the services again. Rebooting the server does nothing apart from putting the VSS writers in the correct state but BE12.5 seems to change that

This is really frustrating and I need to sort this quickly as possible as I've not been able to get a full backup for over a week now.

1 REPLY 1

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

Refer to the below article, re-register the dll's and reboot the server.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH70486