cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 12.5 causes server to reboot

scampisi
Level 2

I am using Backup Exec 12.5 sp3 and have a sporadic problem in that when the Backup is started, the server reboots.  This is not a scheduled backup, but is done manually by the user.  Twice in the last month this has happened.  She starts the backup and immediately the server reboots.  I have just downloaded Service PAck 4 in hopes of making a difference, but I thought I would check here to see if anyone had expericenced this.  I found similar posts in the forum, but they were running modules that we are not running and those proved to be the issue in those circumstances.

Here are my specs

IBM x3400 Server

Windows Server 2003 R2

Backup Exec 12.5 Rev 2213

Installed modules: Advanced Open File Option (AOFO), agent for MS SQL Server, BE for Windows Servers, Remote Agent for Windows servers

Our backup device is an IBM RDX drive.  I have updated the firmware and driver on this device.

The backup is setup as a B2D Backup to Disk on this drive.

I have no events logged in my Event Viewer other than the server shutdown was unexpected and the backup log doesn't indicate a problem either.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

3 REPLIES 3

JoaoMatos
Level 6
Partner

Hi,

Very strange....

The server reboots with any job, or allways the same?

Did you check BE options, job options?

May be SP4 solves...

Regards,

JoaoMatos

scampisi
Level 2

So far, it has only happened twice in the last month.  They backup daily.  The two times that it did happen it was during a full system backup done on Fridays, rather than a data only backup on the other days of the week.

I didn't check any BE options or job options but I wouldn't know what to look for that would cause that.

After I installed SP4, there were three more hot fixes that I downloaded, but I couldn't find any fixes that described my issue.  hopefully the updates did something positive.

thanks

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You need to analyze the minidump that is produced by the failure to see what caused that problem.  Once, I was testing a new software on my media server and it is the one that failed when BE runs, so it appears that BE is the one causing the failure.  After looking the minidump, I remove the software and the problem goes away.