cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 12.5 install issues (error 1719: Windows Installer Service)

Scott_M_
Not applicable

I was attempting to install Backup Exec 12.5 onto a Windows 2008 r2 server but the setup would fail with the following error:

Error 1719. The Windows Installer Service could not be accessed.
     This can occur if the Windows Installer is not correctly installed.
     Contact your support personnel for assistance.

Investigating/trying the plethora of results found via Google, I finally found the answer in the NetBackup forum on this support site:

http://www.symantec.com/connect/forums/opscenternetbackup-75-generall-installation-issues-w2k8r2-sp1...

User Christor discovered that  "Windows Update for Windows (KB2670838)" was the culprit causing the error for his NetBackup install. I removed it from my server as well, rebooted, and was finally able to install Backup Exec.

I'm posting this under the Backup Exec forum so others can find the solution quicker than I did.

Note: I've since discovered we were licensed for 2012; I'll probaby reinstall the update to see if it's compatible.

4 REPLIES 4

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You should post this as a blog in the Blog section.  Otherwise, it may be lost in the midst of all the discussions in the forum.

You can upgrade from BE 12.5 to BE 2012, but you would have to get a new set of licence keys for BE 2012.  Also, you might want to read my article below before upgrading

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/preparing-install-or-upgrade-be-2012

Adam_Brazier
Not applicable

Uninstalling "Windows Update for Windows (KB2670838)" did the trick for me as well when trying to install Netbackup 7.5 OpsManager onto Server 2008 R2.

Nick_Elmer
Level 6
Employee

This is interesting. I'll give this a try and see if I can reproduce the error with 2012. Thank you for the post! I'll update with my findings.

Nick_Elmer
Level 6
Employee

FYI, I performed a quick test today on my Windows 2008 R2 Standard VM. SP1 was already installed, and so was KB976902. I downloaded and installed KB2670838, then rebooted. After coming back up, I logged in and installed Backup Exec 12.5 without any errors.

I'm glad that removing it solved the issue for you both. I'll keep this in mind and see if I see anything in testing that would be related. Thanks for posting it!

Nick