cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 12.5 job hangs at Queued or Snapshot Processing

Daedalus256
Level 2

This problem has been driving me nuts. Here's what is happening:

About a month or so, our backup jobs started to have issues. First, our daily differential jobs now hang at particular server at Snapshot Processing. With this issue, I have run all associated hotfixes, and also set the quiet time much much lower on the jobs that are running, this also didn't fix it. I've checked event logs on both the BackupExec server and the server it hangs on and have not found any errors in either that point to anything in particular going wrong. I'm at my wits end with this problem. I have no idea what the next step is. I've contacted Symantec support via phone regarding this and any solution they offered did not fix the problem.

The other issue I'm having is on the weekends, our Exchange backup does not run. It hangs in a Queued status. I've run the hotfix that we found for this issue, it has not been effective. I've tried resetting the autoloader. I've tried pausing and unpausing the server. I've tried virtually every fix that I could find regarding this. This is really killing us as we have to manually go in and delete log files everytime this job does not run. 

I've also noticed that often times, the BackupExec servers do not automaticaly start after a reboot of the server.

I am seriously pulling my hair out regarding this. Any help that anyone could provide would be MUCH appreciated.

4 REPLIES 4

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

Have you run "vssadmin list writers" from a command prompt to make sure your VSS writers are all in a stable state? If not, do so...if any of them are unstable or in error, then download the VSS rollup patch for Windows Server 2003 if you are running that.

Install it, restart and then try again.

Also, check and make sure there are no prompts during the job; that you're not running some sort of AV scan or application maintenance during that particular backup window, and that BE is FULLY updated!

Thanks!

Daedalus256
Level 2

thanks for the reply Craig, I have verified that there are no issues with any listed VSS Writers on the server. I will double check on the Symantec AV side, but it was not interfering last I checked. I did recently just update BE to the latest fixes via LiveUpdate.

Any other suggestions?

Daedalus256
Level 2

Backups last night ran just the same. I've verified that SAV isn't running during that time and that nothing else is intereferring. The VSS writers all list as "no error"

I really could use some help on this.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...only other thing I can think of is completely removing the RAWS agent from that server, and then reinstalling it via a push-install.

Also, just make sure there is enough space on the drives of that server, especially the drive where the AOFO store is located.

If this doesn't help, I will hit the support flag for you...