cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection Of SAN or Disk Array with BE 2010!!!!

StockholmGuy
Level 6

Is it necessary that we need to connect the Disk array or SAN network with Tape library befpre installing the BE2010.

Or we can connect them after installation is complete at BAckup server .

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Once BE installation is over then you can add the disk array to it. I was asked about the LUN in my earlier post because if it the LUN is mounted on a server other than BE media server then you need to install remote agent on that server to be able to backup that. If the LUN is mounted onto BE media server, you can backup that LUN just like a local drive if media server.

If the disk array and tape library are already connected with the server on which you want to install BE, you can continue installing. It is not mandatory to connect those before installation.

Hope this is clear...

Thanks.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

You can install BE on a server without having any tape devices connected to it.

Whenever you want to confgiure tape library with BE, connect it to backup server either directly or through FC switch and configure it by using configure devices wizard. If you are connecting it through FC switch proper zoning is required between server HBA and tape drives.

Once your server is able to detect the medium chager devices and tape drives, you can confgiure those in BE.

Regards...

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

As Kiran said you can install BE without the tape drive connected , the only additional thing which you would need to do is run the device configurtion wizard after the device is connected to the server.

You can Run the Device configuration wizard from too-- Device Configuration wizard and make sure you install the Symantec Drivers when you run the wizard  .

Or you can download the latest Symantec Drivers and install it .

StockholmGuy
Level 6

I am not talking about the Tape drives connected.

Disk Array from where i want to have backup and will store in the Tapes to some robotic library.

HP disk array or SAN storage.DO i need to connect SAN storag before installation or i can do it later also??-

Thanks

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

But how you are planning to take backup?

The LUN which you want to take backup, may be already configured with a server. Or you want to mount it onto backup server and take backup?

Regards...

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...unless you're installing BE onto a LUN created on the SAN, the answer is no. You can do your FC zoning at a later stage after installing the application, and then present and configure the necessary devices.

StockholmGuy
Level 6

Data is present in disk array that is HP storage array  that is connected with the Backup server and Tap library too is connected with it.

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Once BE installation is over then you can add the disk array to it. I was asked about the LUN in my earlier post because if it the LUN is mounted on a server other than BE media server then you need to install remote agent on that server to be able to backup that. If the LUN is mounted onto BE media server, you can backup that LUN just like a local drive if media server.

If the disk array and tape library are already connected with the server on which you want to install BE, you can continue installing. It is not mandatory to connect those before installation.

Hope this is clear...

Thanks.

StockholmGuy
Level 6

Yes ,

Thank you