cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 12.5 on Server 2008 R2 RTM x64 errors

JohnFrost
Level 2
Hi,

I installed BE 12.5 on Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard RTM x64 today, and am running into some problems.  This is a single-server environment so this server has Active Directory and the media server with an internal tape drive.  I am aware that R2 is not on the compatibility list (yet), but I was hoping I could get some more information.

Here are the issues so far:

1). Installation:  Installs okay, but when it installs service pack or hotfixes I get "Backup Exec Performance Counter Setup has stopped working".  I understand that BEPerfSetup.exe installs the BE performance counters and it is crashing for some reason.

Questions:

- Is there a workaround/fix for this?

- Will this cause any problems except for BE performance counters not working?

2). Backup:  When I attempt to run a full backup of the server it fails in less than a minute with the following error: "A failure occurred accessing the Writer metadata".  I read through some old articles regarding this error, used vssadmin list writers to check status--okay, VSS startup is set to manual.

Questions:

- Is there a workaround/fix for this?

- What is the approximate ETA for an update/hotfix that will allow me to run BE 12.x with R2?  If not 12.x then 2010 would be okay, I have support.

- Is there a Beta version available that works with R2?

I need to bring a new server online ASAP and I would like it to run 2008 R2.  I will reluctantly go with 2008 SP2 if necessary so that BE will work since I have tested and it works fine.

Thanks for any help/suggestions.

J
23 REPLIES 23

pehap
Level 3
how do i backup my virtual machines then if i can not install the agent on my R2 :(((((((((((((((

Alexxx
Level 3
I can install it on a win2008 r2 server and it works fine however backing a windows 2008 r2 server up is another thing, it just fails with VSS and i cannot figure out what it is. Even when i dont install the VSS open file component as part of the agent it still fails. All hotfixes have been installed and service is set to manual

ollyparkhouse
Level 3
Hey guys, just an update as i have been struggling with Symantec support for the last 2 days.
They wont support Server 2008 R2 for 12.5

To make matters worse i have it all installed on a Domain Controller (2008 R2) so they rteally didnt want to touch it, but told me instead to upgrade to Backup Exec 2010 which was compatible with 2008 R2.

Well i have news for you. It dint work.
Tried an upgrade but SQL Express failed to install regardless of how many times i tried. Got Symantec involved, and was told this is a 5 minute job. 2 hours later SQL still wont install. Something to do with it not being able to install the local sqlserver2005$servername accounts. (those accounts existed on the domain from the 12.5 install, so why didnt it try and use them???)
So they advised me to install it it using an external SQL server.
So i did. SQL 2005 instance created on another server, all ready.
I ran the install, and this time it failed creating the services on the BE server, and rolled back. Sadly no log is created despite the View log button, i assume it gets deleted when the roll back kicks in. All i can see ion the event viewer is something to do with SNMP service:
The SNMP Service encountered an error while accessing the registry key SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SNMP\Parameters\TrapConfiguration. 
and one other about SNMP trap extension

So far my experience with 2010 isnt that good.

SysAllMighty
Not applicable

Hi guys,

I wanted to add share my experience regarding this issue

Last week we migrated our virtual environment from Hyper-V to Hyper-V R2, of course we couldn't backup our virtual machines anymore after the migration with the error V-79-57344-65233

We opened a case with Symantec and after spending around 5 hours on the phone they gave up so they gave us access to download Backup Exec 2010.  Yesterday we upgraded to 2010 and all jobs, setting, etc were migrated successfully but trying to backup the virtual machines turned out to be a nightmare!!!

I pushed the new agent to the Hyper-V hosts and it was installed successfully.  A restart was required but I tried a backup job before restarting.  I received the following error message: 0xe000fed1 - A failure occurred querying the Writer status

So I restarted the host but then Backup Exec agent fails to start!!!

I'm still fighting...I will keep you posted

Kevin