cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 12.5 on Solaris 9

Toralf_Bakketun
Level 3
Hello.

I am not familiar with backup of SunOS, or other Unix servers. I have setup many Windows server with Backup Exec. This setup includes one Solaris server witch I have not done before.
I would be able to backup all Windows servers, and one Solaris server with one Backup Exec 12.5 installed on a Windows 2003 server. I have the “Remote agent for Linux and Unix servers” installed on the Backup Exec server.

When I first checked the support I used this article:
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/240654.htm this article confirms the older Solaris versions is supported.

Now I have found this article: http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/282164.htm which does not support any other versions than 10 and 9. This is confirmed in this document: ftp://exftpp.symantec.com/pub/support/products/Bac...

When I check the server, it reports this version: sunfire# uname -a
SunOS sunfire 5.9 Generic_112233-01 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Fire-280R

I know this is an old machine, and an old Solaris version. But, I need to have an backup of it. Today it have an backup system that don’t make any backups of files and folders with national character, like æøå and others.

How do I backup this Solaris / SunOS server? I have tried to use the ./installralus command, but there is no action on this command. No error message either. It just won’t start.
Would it be possible to use an older client to backup this server, but still the new Backup Exec 12.5 server?

Thanks for any assistance on this one.
2 REPLIES 2

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
According to the SCL (Software Compatibility List) v12.5 only supports Solaris v9 & v10

Even v10 only went back to Solaris v8.

v9 only went as far back as v7 - on SPARC processers

Looks like you are out of luck backing up this old Solaris Server with current Backup software

Toralf_Bakketun
Level 3
Thanks for your replay.

I have found that my first post was not correct, the Solaris server is 5.9 – with actually is Solaris 9. It is old, but not that old that I thought at first.
sunfire# uname –a

So I have tried this:
I have used this support document: http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/282164.htm to try to install. It is for Solaris 9 and 10.
The steps I have made are:
Downloaded the software, BEWS_12.5.2213_LINUX-UNIX-MAC-SAP_AGENTS.tar.gz and burn to CD. Copied from /mnt/cdrom0 to /tmp/beagent

Then:
cd /tmp/beagent
gunzip bews.tar.zip
tar xvf bews.tar
And then, I received this error: tar: directory checksum error

It seems to be something wrong with the file, or the tar version on the Solaris is not compatible to extract the file. I used 7-Zip for Windows, and extracted all the files, and then copied them to the Solaris thru samba, which is installed on the Solaris server. It is slow to copy files thru the network this way, but after several hours the files were transferred to the Solaris server.

Then I try to install once more:
sunfire# cd /tmp/beagent
sunfire# pwd
sunfire# ./installralus
To see if it starts I use:
sunfire# sh -x installralus
VXIF_HOME=./
+ export VXIF_HOME
VXIF_ORIGENVLANG=
+ export VXIF_ORIGENVLANG
PERL_UNICODE=1
+ export PERL_UNICODE
+ uname -m
HDWR_TYPE=sun4u
+ uname
+ [ sun4u = i86pc ]
+ [ -f ./RALUS64/installralus ]
+ cd ./RALUS64
+ ./installralus
+ exit 1

It seems to try to go to the ./RALUS64/installralus file – so I start it manual:
sunfire# cd ./RALUS64
sunfire# sh -x ./installralus
VXIF_HOME=../
+ export VXIF_HOME
VXIF_ORIGENVLANG=
+ export VXIF_ORIGENVLANG
PERL_UNICODE=1
+ export PERL_UNICODE
LOCAL_PERL=1
IS_UBUNTU=0
+ uname -m
HDWR_TYPE=sun4u
+ uname
OS=SunOS
+ export OS
PERL_VER=5.8.8
+ export PERL_VER
+ [ -z ../ ]
+ [ ! -d ..//VxIF ]
+ [ 1 -eq 1 ]
+ ../perl/SunOS/bin/perl -I.. -I/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/ucb:/etc:.:/opt/FlashNet5/bin:/opt/FlashNet5/scripts -I../ -I../perl/SunOS/lib/5.8.8 ../installralus.pl

Info about the Solaris computer:
sunfire# isainfo –v
64-bit sparcv9 applications
32-bit sparc applications

sunfire# uname –a

Do anybody have any idea about this? Have I done anything wrong? Is there anything wrong with the Solaris server? It should be supported.
It does work file for the desktop publishing software it is used for – fullpress.