cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 12.5

Cybermax
Level 3

I have encounted a problem with the intallation of Backup Exec 12.5 whereas is does not let me continue.:
Error: The server SERVERNAME does not appear to be a valid central administration server.

Please assist in resolving this matter as i cannot bring up our backup stores.

12 REPLIES 12

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Hi,

Are you installing this server into a CASO environment, or installing that server with the CASO option ticked?
If #2, deselect it and try again.

Laters!

Cybermax
Level 3
I am installing the software directly on the Media Server, have you anymore suggestions or maybe a walk trhough i can follow. Almost tried every option possible and it still returns the same error.

CraigV
That's very weird. That error is pointing directly to CASO, but if it's not in your environment, I don't quite know where to look at it.

Did you ever have CASO in your environment? Has BEWS been upgraded/installed before? If so, have you tried a complete uninstall and then a fresh installation?

Cybermax
Level 3
We previously had Backup Exec 11 running locally with SQL but nuked the box after incompatibility issue within our environment. Even if i try to install the SQL Express version i encounter the same error.

Please direct me with a step by step on how i could possibly resolve the matter. Installation is done directly on the media server and Database connection will not be local.

CraigV
Mmm...

Maybe you corrupted something along the line, or there are still traces of your previous version.

I have added a link below. Read through it, it tells you how to completely clear up the previous installation of BE. Try it and let me know...

Cybermax
Level 3
I have realoaded the server and am still encountering the problem. Please correct me if i am wrong, but this is installed on a single server with attached media library. Connecting to a remote SQL instance. Selecting the Principle media Server at the central adminsitration server. Any other suggestions.

CraigV
Hi there,

Try installing it with a local SQL instance. If that works, then it's something to do with connecting it to that remote instance.
Any particular reason for wanting the DB stored elsewhere?

Laters!

Cybermax
Level 3
Please see that atached problem that i am encountering with installing it onto a dedicated server with built in SQL Express Instance.

BEEC.jpg

CraigV
Hey man,

Are you trying to install it and point it to a CASO server?
If so, install as a normal server with it's own local DB. Configure your jobs and media first.
Once done, you can then use BEutility.exe to point it to a CASO server.
Let me know if you need further help!

Hemant_Jain
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Go back and uncheck "Managed Media server", in the install options. If you do not have Central Admin server, you dont need to use MMS. From what i believe, you have not configured a Central Admin server, so go ahead and uncheck MMS, that should fix it.

Please mark it a solution, if that is useful.
Thanks

Cybermax
Level 3
Thanks for all the help but i have managed to get the BKUPEXEC Software online. Another problem i have hit is that all the backups are failing with the following warning: An unknown error occurred on device "HP2". V-79-57344-34036 - An Unknown error has occurred.

I have flashed the hardware / deleted it from the console and re-added it and still nothing, please assist.

CraigV
Hi Cybermax,

Check out the technote below to troubleshoot issues with backup devices, and also make sure that Removable Storage is disabled:

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/255501.htm

Furthermore, you can look at downloading HP Library and Tape Tools from the HP support website, which will allow you to run some hardware checks against that device. If it's faulty, log the call with HP to replace/repair.

Laters!