cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 12 Job Error Issue

bobohost
Level 3

Hello Experts,

I have been helping a friend clean up his Symantec Backup Exec Jobs as he was getting a lot of errors on his jobs.  We have made good progress although I'm stuck on one job.  I looked at the job and it errors out connecting to a server.  So I went to the job and when I click on the server I get a pop up

Failed to access Server Name
Logon Account: System Logon Account

The account is the same as all the servers.  I tried editing the account password but that fails also.  I went through Tools  Wizard Logon Account Wizard and setup the account with the proper domain credentials but I still can't connect to the server.  I can logon to the actual server using these credentials.  What am I doing wrong?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

ArulPrasad
Level 6
Employee

Hi,

>> Check for firewall (hardware and software for the ports are allowed for communication

>> Reinstall the remote agent and check

>> Try with IP address from the user defineed selection?

>> Could be a conflict with DNS.

>> make sure the remote agent on the server runs under LSA

>> try piging the server using IP and DNS name vice versa3

Retrieve all of the IP settings from the Backup Exec media server and remote server using IPCONFIG

Verify that name resolution is working by using NSLOOKUP.
Examples of NSLOOKUP queries.
  • nslookup myserver
  • nslookup 10.0.0.22
Once name resolution has been verified, continue to test network connectivity by using PING.  Ensure that the real IP address of the remote server can be pinged via a command prompt on the media server. If the ping fails to return a reply, then there are two possible solutions:

1. Enable port forwarding on the firewall:
  • To do this consult the network administrator, firewall documentation, or firewall vendor for further information.
2. Add a static route from the Backup Exec media server to the firewall using the command line:
  • ROUTE ADD
Example:
  • ROUTE ADD 157.0.0.0 MASK 255.0.0.0  157.55.80.1 METRIC 3 IF

Regards

Arul

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

ArulPrasad
Level 6
Employee

Hi,

>> Check for firewall (hardware and software for the ports are allowed for communication

>> Reinstall the remote agent and check

>> Try with IP address from the user defineed selection?

>> Could be a conflict with DNS.

>> make sure the remote agent on the server runs under LSA

>> try piging the server using IP and DNS name vice versa3

Retrieve all of the IP settings from the Backup Exec media server and remote server using IPCONFIG

Verify that name resolution is working by using NSLOOKUP.
Examples of NSLOOKUP queries.
  • nslookup myserver
  • nslookup 10.0.0.22
Once name resolution has been verified, continue to test network connectivity by using PING.  Ensure that the real IP address of the remote server can be pinged via a command prompt on the media server. If the ping fails to return a reply, then there are two possible solutions:

1. Enable port forwarding on the firewall:
  • To do this consult the network administrator, firewall documentation, or firewall vendor for further information.
2. Add a static route from the Backup Exec media server to the firewall using the command line:
  • ROUTE ADD
Example:
  • ROUTE ADD 157.0.0.0 MASK 255.0.0.0  157.55.80.1 METRIC 3 IF

Regards

Arul

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Try uninstalling the RAWS, booting and re-installing

bobohost
Level 3

Thanks APR,  It was a DNS issue.  The Backup Exec had a static entry in it's host file which pointed to the incorrect server.