Showing results forΒ 
Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 

Backup Exec 12 Reinstallation

shakeelmo
Level 3
Certified

Hi,

I would like to Uninstall and Reinstall our Backup Exec 12 for windows servers, and we have DELL power Vault 132T tape library.

We some windows servers and remote Red hat Linux servers, and database running on SQL server and Informix.

Please provide the detail steps and your support greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Shakeelmo

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Backup_Exec1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
Hi I got it now, on your desktop you will have backup exec icon, please right click on it and click on properties and then click on find target or else it would be on the place backupexec is installed ,like c-program files-symantec-backupexec-data and catalogs. To copy this 2 folder you should stop the SQL service first for backupexec. Once done copy the data and catalogs. Then uninstall and reinstall BE12.0 with sp5 and all updates using live update. Then you can take the backup of current data and catalogs by stopping SQL service again. Copy the data and catalogs to current directory of backupexec were it is installed. Once done you should be able to see al your configuration back. Let me know if any query . Thanks

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Backup_Exec1
Level 6
Hi If you want to uninstall then, before doing it please grab the copy of data and catalogs folder. Also please copy the besernum.XML file. Then you can uninstall it from add remove programs. Once done reinstall it and you can make use of the things you backup. But then why you want to uninstall it and reinstall it , are you going to uninstall and install backupexec on different server. Thanks

shakeelmo
Level 3
Certified

Hi backup-exec,

I found basernum.xml file, but where can I find  catalogs folders and  which copy of data.

We have some issues running on backup exe server for very long time, to overcome this I am planning to uninstall and reinstall on the same server.

Thanks,

Backup_Exec1
Level 6
Hi I got it now, on your desktop you will have backup exec icon, please right click on it and click on properties and then click on find target or else it would be on the place backupexec is installed ,like c-program files-symantec-backupexec-data and catalogs. To copy this 2 folder you should stop the SQL service first for backupexec. Once done copy the data and catalogs. Then uninstall and reinstall BE12.0 with sp5 and all updates using live update. Then you can take the backup of current data and catalogs by stopping SQL service again. Copy the data and catalogs to current directory of backupexec were it is installed. Once done you should be able to see al your configuration back. Let me know if any query . Thanks

SuperBrain
Employee Accredited

Default path is :

C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\Data (contains Backup Exec database and job logs)

C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup EXec\Catalogs (contains Catalogs which are used by restore job)

BESERNUM.XML contains the license keys.

Once you have the above safely backed up to a different machine/drive. You can uninstall and reinstall the machine.

1. Keep the same machine name.

2. Make sure you record the Service Pack and Hotfix level of your Backup Exec media server by going to Help - About - Installed Updates (screenshot that screen is the best way to record the SP level)

-----------------

Post installation, make sure you have the same service pack and hotfix level before restoring the backed up information i.e. besernum.xml, Data and Catalogs folders.

shakeelmo
Level 3
Certified
Hi, Before i proceed with uninstalling backup exec 12 any changes has to made for tape library? Thanks,

AmolB

Nothing much before uninstalling but while reinstalling you will get a prompt for drivers for tape drive.

Select Symantec drivers for the tape drive, also make sure medium changer is configured with 

Microsoft drivers.