cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 12 fails to backup to Tape or NAS (iSCSi)

extremes77
Level 2
Partner
I have the following configuration:
Windows 2003 Sp2 Standard Edition
Backup Exec 12 with the last hotfix
Dell PowerVault 124T
QNAP 809 connect to windows 2003 as iscsi disk

I tried to backup to nas and on the tape library and randomly the backup fail with the follwing error:
for nas:

An error occurred while processing a B2D command.
Changer: ReadBlock() Failed. Error=996 

and for the TAPE library is

The job failed with the following error: A tape read/write error has occurred. This is usually caused by dirty read/write heads in the tape drive. Clean the tape drive, and then try the job again. If the problem persists, try a different tape. You may also need to check for problems with cables, termination, or other hardware issues. 02/08/2009 21.18.30 03/08/2009 10.03.19 CLEM\Administrator SRV-DOMAIN1 SETTIMANALE COMPLETO DATI CERTANCE 1 SRV-DOMAIN1 Job

I have tried to change the tape and to do a long erase, but the issue is present.
The tape are not the same! Every time I can see that the slot is different.

I can see that the error is read related! May be an Issue of backupexec?

Can you give me suggestions?

2 REPLIES 2

OneManITShop
Level 3
do you have the verify option on? try to uncheck it and rerun the job
did you try to delete the D2D location and recreate it? this solve many problems
verify (again) the latest drived for the tape
are there any jobs that do work? setup a local C folder and backup something just to test the basic functionality of BE

extremes77
Level 2
Partner
I would like resolve the issue with NAS ISCSI.
I tried to backup tonight with NAS and the backup going on. Without create a new B2D folder now the backup is going on. But randomly the backup fails. Do you think that i can't use the verification feature for my backup?
Local are ok! but my configuration is ISCSI and for operating system the NAS is local!