cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 16 deduplication to Azure

Aymen_MAMI
Level 3

Hello,

I'm trying to duplication to Azure feature of Backup Exec 16.

i configured a backup of a virtual machine to a dedup folder on premise then duplicated it to Azure.

I noticed that the backup have beed rehydrated when sent to Azure. Is there a way to extend the deduplication to the Cloud because otherwise the required bandwidh will be huge.

Thanks for your help 

4 REPLIES 4

pkh
   VIP    Certified

No

jurgen_barbieur
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited

backupexec works on the idea that a backup needs to be restorable from any location. That's the reason that a backup-set duplicated from dedup to any storage (disk, cloud, tape) will be rehydrated so it is usefull from that location to be restored without any issues

DavidEF
Level 3
Employee

Currently Backup Exec cannot deduplicate to the cloud but this capability is under development and will, hopefully, be available soon. There may be an opportunity to beta test this solution, in which case you will be contacted directly from a Product Management team member based on this vox entry.

NetworkCompany
Level 4

I am being hounded by all of my clients to support backups to the cloud and faced with this very same issue.

I settled on full backups of the entire backup server including the dedup storage to cloud through VTL or tape.  This is not desirable but it is efficient and provides DR capabilities which is the only reason I am willing to store sensitive backup data offsite.

I have nightmares that in the event of a disaster, one tiny error during the restore of 20TB from cloud will fail and render the entire cloud copy invalid.  Not to mention that 20TB might take a couple days to a week to download.  Just like the initial "seed", a physical copy of the data will likely need to be shipped from the cloud facility.  Why am I using the cloud again?  lol

I am hesitant to suggest any VTL service.  In many cases a separate server is required with sufficient storage to hold overflow data as it is sent to the cloud. This is soo backwards.  Not the fault of BE, the world is just scrambling for working solutions.

I have not tried this but running BE as a VM and replicating it to Azure (or any Hyper-V server) seems promising but the data from all the internal processing within BE and the dedup storage would also be replicated.  I have had so many terminal problems using remote agents across a VPN however, this solution might also be a nightmare during a disaster and require replicating locally before any restores are possible.

I am also looking forward to more mature cloud solutions that address some of these issues.