Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2010 :: Advanced Open File

izzool
Level 2

Hi Support Team,

I am using Sym Backup Exec 2010.

I have an inquiry relating to Advanced Open File option.

In the job properties dialog box, under the Settings tab, the are two child options;

- Advanced

- Advanced Open File

Refering to;

1. Under the Advanced, there is an option box;

• Open file backup when Advanced Open File not in used;

2. Under Advanced Open File, there is a option box;

• Use Advanced Open File option

My question is;

Does the options in Advanced > Use Advanced Open File option (ie: Never / If closed within ... / With a lock / Without a lock) has any effect to Advanced Open File processing?

Currently it is set to With a lock by default.

I have disabled the option under Advanced Open File, but backup jobs still run with the AOFO: Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Services (VSS).

I found this option takes longer time to complete.

Please advise.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

If the SBS is running Windows 2008 (or higher), Backup Exec will perform a VSS backup even when AOFO is not enabled... (for file system data, Exchange etc).

However, if certain resources do not support vss snapshot backups, then the settings in the "Advanced Options" apply & best to keep them enabled.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

VJware
Level 6

Have a look @ these 2 KBs ~

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO73609

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH173983

The Advanced options (with a lock, never etc) apply to non-snapshot backups when BE encounters an open file...

Certain type of data (backups) use VSS even when the option to explicitly enable VSS from AOFO is disabled.

izzool
Level 2

Hi,

The 2 KBs referred.

Can I conclude, even if both options in Advanced options and Advanced Open File option being set to disabled (eg: Never), SBE 2010 will still backup VSS snapshot processes?

Please advise.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...VSS will always be used in a backup. You will see the snapshot being issued in the backup job while running.

Thanks!

VJware
Level 6

If the SBS is running Windows 2008 (or higher), Backup Exec will perform a VSS backup even when AOFO is not enabled... (for file system data, Exchange etc).

However, if certain resources do not support vss snapshot backups, then the settings in the "Advanced Options" apply & best to keep them enabled.

izzool
Level 2

Hi Support Team,

Noted on the responses.

Thanks much.