Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2010 Errors

steelite_Matt
Level 4

Hi all,

Appologies for the vague title but I'll try and explaina bit better here:

Yesterday we had a backup error relating to one of our DC's:

Access is denied.

To back up or restore System State, administrator privileges are required.

"Access is denied.

To back up or restore System State, administrator privileges are required."

We have had this before and have got a backup user set up which is in the domain admin group which has all necessary access. So last night I decided to try the Use advanced Open File Option - set to Use Microsoft VSS with Automatic selected in the drop down.

This seems to have solved the DC backup error but this morning we have a new error:

"Cannot extract mailbox messages from the Exchange backup. Review the job log for more information."

and in the log:

"V-79-57344-915 - Unable to complete the operation for the selected resource using the specified options.  The following error was returned when opening the Exchange Database file:  '-528 The current log file is missing."

Is this latest log related to the "fix" for the previous error or is this completely separate?

Thanks

Matt

7 REPLIES 7

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Which version of BE you are using?

Refer: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH147536

If you are on R2 install the hotfix mentioned in the TN and also you can consider upgrading to R3.

Regards....

pkh
   VIP    Certified

First of all, you should not be using AOFO when you are backing up Exchange.  This is the cause of your second error.

As for your first error, are you having problems with your DC which has the FSMO roles?  If the DC which has the FSMO roles is down during the backup, then you may get this error.

steelite_Matt
Level 4

Ah right, I'll be unticking that then! Thanks

As for the FSMO rolse, no we actually have 3 DC's being backed up by this job (the server that has BE 2010 R2 installed on it, A DC that is also an exchange server and the DC that is having problems).

Would moving the FSMO roles to a differnet server than the one that runs the backup job be the way forward?

Many thanks

Matt

pkh
   VIP    Certified

If you move the FSMO roles away from the DC with the AD problems, then you should be able to backup the AD using the other 2 DC's without any problems.  However, you should fix the AD problems on the DC with the problems.

steelite_Matt
Level 4

As far as I'm aware we don't have any AD problems.... We have no errors apart from this backup one... (the errors occur when backing up system state on a remote DC that does not have the FSMO roles).

I will try moving the FSMO roles away from the server that has BE installed onto the one we're having issues with and see if that solves the issue.

Thanks

Matt

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Let me explain the situation a little bit better.  If you have DC1 (FSMO roles) and DC2 and DC1 is down or DC1's AD is having problems, then you will get your access denied problem when you try to backup the system state (AD) of DC2.  If you are sure that DC1 is not down or its AD is not having problems, then the errror is caused by something else.

steelite_Matt
Level 4

Yes I see what you mean. In our setup DC1 is the backup exec server which backs up intself DC2, DC3 and 2 other servers (non DC)

We never have any problems with the non DC servers or DC3 we only have this error on DC2.. I've moved the resource order so that DC2 is backed up first, in case it's a timing issue with anti virus or something like that, and it's worked last night..

I'll investigate further when I have a minute to see if I can see what was causing it.

Thanks for the explanation.

Matt