cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2010 - Faulting application name: beremote.exe - Faulting module name: vixDiskLib.dll

NorDoc
Level 3
I'm having trouble backing up VMware with Backup Exec 2010 with newest updates.

The backup job starts, creates a snapshot, and then the Backup Exec Agent stops on the Backup Exec server:

Faulting application name: beremote.exe, version: 13.0.2896.0, time stamp: 0x4b184ba1
Faulting module name: vixDiskLib.dll, version: 3.1.0.396, time stamp: 0x4af097b5
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00000000000040de
Faulting process id: 0xa4c
Faulting application start time: 0x01caba36f5e372b4
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\beremote.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\VMware\VixDiskLib\bin\vixDiskLib.dll
Report Id: 67f431d0-262a-11df-88ea-00215e70e7aa

In the job log Backup Exec reports:
Final error: 0xe000ff18 - A communications failure has occurred with a Virtual Machine resource.
Final error category: Resource Errors

Backup- xxxxx
V-79-57344-65304 - The Virtual Machine resource is not responding. Backup set canceled.
39 REPLIES 39

rw
Level 3

I'm having the same problem!

Faulting application beremote.exe, version 13.0.2896.0, time stamp 0x4b184ba1, faulting module vixDiskLib.dll, version 3.1.0.396, time stamp 0x4af097b5, exception code 0xc0000005

My issue was with access to the san.  I had forgotten to disable automount with diskpart, then tell MS iSCSI to connect to the san for each LUN.  After getting the access to the SAN fixed, no more error.  Hope this helps!

NorDoc
Level 3
Diskpart doesn't solve the problem. I happens even though i don't backup through SAN. 

rw
Level 3
NorDoc,

FYI, don't know if its related, but I had to break my selection list up and was running them concurrently and got a similar problem (beremote crashes).  I get the same communications error.  Here is the application log entry:

Log Name:      Application
Source:        Application Error
Date:          3/8/2010 4:52:31 PM
Event ID:      1000
Task Category: (100)
Level:         Error
Keywords:      Classic
User:          N/A
Computer:      MediaServer
Description:
Faulting application beremote.exe, version 13.0.2896.0, time stamp 0x4b184ba1, faulting module ntdll.dll, version 6.0.6002.18005, time stamp 0x49e0421d, exception code 0xc0000374, fault offset 0x00000000000aef37, process id 0xf98, application start time 0x01cabef07ad7eb52.

NorDoc
Level 3
 Unfortunately that doesn't apply to me as I only have one single virtual machine in my selection list. This is just a test before I put it in to production, so I try to make it as simple as possible.  

rw
Level 3
Another item I ran across in my research indicated that Symantec was aware of an issue with Beremote.exe crashing when backing up file data from a 2008 R2 server with Exchange 2010 installed.  Here is the url: 

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/337862.htm 

I'm about to break down and call in for support, I upgraded my small production environment and this is an issue for me.

RW

NorDoc
Level 3
Well, it still doesn't relate to my error as I don't have Exchange 2010 installed on this server. I have 2008 R2 though. 

nbernhart
Level 3
I have the same issue here. Testing BUE 2010 on 5 VMs before putting into production. This is the only issue that's keeping me from moving forward. I have a case open with support, waiting for the "technician" to contact me.

I'll update this thread with any progress I may have.

NorDoc
Level 3
Great. Looking forward to your solution :) 

NorDoc
Level 3
 Any update on this issue?

nbernhart
Level 3
No update yet. I spent my hour on the initial support call on Friday... my case was escalated and now I wait for advanced support to contact me.

nbernhart
Level 3

Nothing new to tell today. Had my call with Adv Support this morning. They stated that they have seen this issue reported by others and are "researching". My case has been escalated to Backline support. I'm currently waiting for the RAWS to crash again so I can send some logs to support and contact them again.

Dongxian_Yao
Level 2
I have the same issue, I can make this happens in one sec, it is very easy to reproduce the problem. Hope they can release the fix soon.

And I noticed the pattern, if you backup a VM with a independent hard disk, this is most likely caused the trouble, check and see if I am right, if you think I am right, just inform the support guys, it may helpful for them to fix the problem.

nbernhart
Level 3
@Dongxian... thanks for the input, but that is not in my equation. I don't have any VMs with independent disks.

Adv. Support did give me a registry modification yesterday and I'm running some more backups to test it out. Since the issue is so sporadic, I'll be running tests for the whole week to see how it does before I am satisfied that it has resolved the problem.

rw
Level 3
nbernhart,

Can you post the registry mods?

nbernhart
Level 3
Well, my RAWS service just crashed on my media server again, so the mod did not help. I'd rather wait until my issue is fixed before posting anything here.

Daniel_B
Level 2
I have the same issue. Exact same error in the event log :)

I have a support contract so I might ring up and log a job just to get it some extra support. And the more they know about it the more likely we are to get it fixed.

I'll update this thread with any details I get.

Marcopolo
Level 6
I have this issue also, we're running Server 2003/Exchange 2003

I performed a test run prior to upgrading the agent from 12.5 and all seemed fine.

Also the other backups ran ok yesterday, (file backups) but they all failed today reporting communication errors with the agents (though they are still running). It seems the problem is more deep rooted.

configura_magnu
Level 2
I went through the pain of registering an account here just to share my findings with you guys..

I just installed BE 2010 on a new backup server running Windows 2008 R2 Standard and started configuring it.
I ran some test jobs which all worked fine (one on a Linux VM and one on a Windows 2000 VM). So I configured the primary backup job and set it to run. It immediately failed! So i searched around a bit and ended up here. Not much help, though.. Although it got me thinking in what I think might be the correct direction.

The test VMs that I did a dry run on had only one vdisk each, and none of them was in independent mode..
So i checked how the first VM in the primary job was configured, and sure enough, it has an independent disk attached.
So i tried moving two other VMs up to the top of the resource order and rescheduled the job again. Sure enough, it happily backed up the two machines before it again failed on the same one that had the independent disk...

So, my suggestion is that it might be some incorrect handling of independent disks in BE that causes it to crash (of course, they should't be affected by a snapshot, but then again, BE shouldn't crash just because of it either ) . Just switch of the independent disks and the backup should come through ok..

Hope this helps..

nbernhart
Level 3

Thanks for the info, magnus... but, my jobs fail sporadically with just one VM in each of the selection lists being backed up and none of my VMs have independent disks.

I'm patiently waiting for Adv. Support to get back to me. My case has been passed to another engineer.