cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2010 Hangs when backing up system state

sbs
Level 3

Suddenly BE 2010 server on Windows 2008 R2 x64 has been getting stuck at the System State backup or Shadow Copy. Backup is to an LTO4 drive and it only seems to be on the local machine that it gets stuck. It has worked for several months without an issue. The only way to recover is to stop all BE services or Reboot the server.

Fully patched no updates available (SP1 + 5 hotfixes) - No OS changes installed

If I Run a System State and Shadow Copy separately by itself works fine and does about 10GB in 20 minutes.

VSSADMIN LIST WRITERS shows all stable and no errors. Reboot does not do anything.

There are no errors in the logs the only things listed in the Application log are informational Events 8224 from VSS stating "The VSS service is shutting down due to idle timeout. " At the same time there are two events in the System log with "The Volume Shadow Copy service entered the running state." and then "The Volume Shadow Copy service entered the stopped state." These events are about 3 minutes apart. The idle timeout message and the stopped state message are at the same time.

This is really frustrating and I need to sort this quickly as not been able to get a full backup for about a week now.

16 REPLIES 16

itsmeaffinity
Level 6

Hi

Backupexec is 2010 sp1 or 2010 r2 sp1 with hotfixes

What happen when you do backup to disk of both system state & shadow copy together

Thank You

sbs
Level 3

I haven't tried BTD for this, I'll try it and see what the outcome is. Report back shortly

Thanks SBS

itsmeaffinity
Level 6

Thanks for update & will wait for your further response

Keep posted

sbs
Level 3

Backup to disk worked OK, but as I mentioned earlier a separate Backup to tape works for both SS and SCC. I don't know whether it's R1 or R2 but The version is 13.0 Rev. 2896(64 bit)

itsmeaffinity
Level 6

Hi

You have version BE 2010 only so pleaseupgrade to BE 2010 r2 sp1 & then check

This is link to download BE 2010 r2 please download 3.21 gb iso file

https://www4.symantec.com/Vrt/offer?a_id=93355

link for BE 2010 r2 sp1

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH143670

If this resolves the issue please mark it solved

Thank You

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You might want to try re-registering your VSS components using the procedure below

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH70486

Porto
Level 4
Partner Accredited

The same happens to me.

Have 2008 R2 x64 SP1 and Backup Exec 2010 R2 SP1.

Mitch_R
Not applicable

I'm having the exact issue as well.  I have 2008 R2 and the issue started when I updated to 2008 R2 SP1 that was just released.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Porto
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Let´s give some more information and see if someone figures out whatit´s happening.

Target server:

Win Svr 2008 R2 SP1 all patches. Server logs shows no erros.

Backup server:

Win Svr 2003 R2 SP2 all patches, Backup Exec 2010 R2 V13.0 Rev. 4164, SP1, hotfix 150096 and 144101, disk based backup.

On backup server, job is active, with no erros,transfered 200MB, and now is idle. Does not finish the actual job.

Server logs show no erros, but several informational related logs:

VSS, ID 8219, Timeout expanding file \\?\globalroot\device\harddiskvolumeshadowcopy19\windows\softwaredistribution\*.*. This was done by writer WUA.

VSS, ID 8220, Timeout excluding files

The remote agent utility at target server shows:

Midia Server:

SERVER

Source:

\\Targer Server\system?state

Actual folder:

\

Actual file:

Inactive

Porto
Level 4
Partner Accredited

I received a solution that worked for me but don´t remember where or who post it.

Type dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /spsuperseded

Now System State runs smootly

Support-mcc
Level 3
Partner Accredited

So is there a solution yet?  I just installed a band new SBS 2011 install and a new BE 2010 R2 Sp1 and 5 hotfixes.  And I can't get it to finish the 1st backup.  stalls at "System?state".

Other links didn't offer a solution, or what the issue might be.

Alan_Terrill
Level 3

I'm having the same problem -it started only ten days ago with no obvious change to the software just before it started. I've got six servers that get backed up each night -only the two domain controllers do this, the others all complete the system state backup in a reasonable time. The two 'stalled' backups do complete eventually but it extends the backup time from 10 hours to 17 hours!  Like someone esle said, if you try acn cancel the abckup when its in the stalled state it just sits there. The only way out is to stop all the backup exec services and restart them.

ARemboldt
Level 3
Employee

Enhancements to the speed of System State Backups in Windows 2008 R2 were included in the 2010 R3 release of Backup Exec.

Please see http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH76051 for further details.

LMHansen
Level 3
Partner

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH70486 fixed it for me.

Note that running the script will shut down a bunch of services other than the ones listed, as there are some dependencies.

I did *not* have to reboot after running the script, I just re-started all the services that were stopped, then started a test-backup of the System State, and it finished in 6 minutes rather than auto-cancel after 6 hours ...

Alfonze
Not applicable

Hi, do you run the script on the server that the management console is installed on or the server that is the issue with the system state as in my case they are 2 seperate servers?

Thanks