Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2010 Job Failing

Eric_England
Level 3

Since Jan10 2012 my backup job began reporting the following error:

Backup- D:
Media mount failed.
User canceled a Physical Volume Library operation.
V-79-57344-33861 - The media operation was terminated by the user.

Completed Status Canceled Timed out

The job was automatically canceled because it

exceeded the job's maximum configured

run time.

the following is also in the log:  V-79-57344-33861  but due to IE restrictions here i get access denied to view site..

The scheduled time is correct and the time limit has been verified. the job is backing 2 servers.  Bothe c and d drives are bering backed up.  I never had an issue besides a possible windows update that may have affected the job.  I pushed out windows updates on jan 11th 2012 job started with issues on the 10 but control panel indicates updates were actuaklly installed on jan 18 2012 which makes me think itas not windows updates.  The job is failing to backup only on one server. It fails on the c drive completely and a portion of the d drive.  all other selections are backing up

the availibility has been changed in the past and im set to 9hours right now its crazy to keep going and adding more ext time..im actually going to give another tonuight

but any help or suggestions would be great thanks in advance

10 REPLIES 10

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

You can check the device under the Devices tab and make sure you don't have any hardware errors by looking for Hard Write Errors. These indicate possible failing hardware.

Also, download and install the drive manufacturer's diagnostic utility. Stop the BE services and run the diagnostics to rule out hardware being at fault.

Lastly, make sure your BE server is fully patched with all the available patches, including the latest drivers.

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Have a look at this KB as well - http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH19835

manojmsr
Level 2

hi,

please check the server (which backup getting failed) after patches deployed server is restarted or not, if not please restart once. Still problem persist, kindly un-install the new deployed patch & restart & check again.

regards,

Manoj

Eric_England
Level 3

CraigV

HP diag tool returned no hard write errors but i do recieve the folling when trying to run live update

Backup job starts at 10pm and usaully ends at 4am. Since issue the job has been ending at 7am 

I looked through the event viewer and noticed the following

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Removable Storage Service
Event Category: None
Event ID: 168
Date:  1/20/2012
Time:  9:45:07 PM
User:  N/A
Computer: Server1

Description:
RSM cannot manage library Tape0. Failed to communicate with device or obtain device setup information.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

It kind of looks like a scsi issue but all of sudden?

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Disable the Removable Storage Service...

And for LiveUpdate, download LiveUpdate 3.3 from https://www-secure.symantec.com/norton-support/jsp/help-solutions.jsp?docid=v57903068_EndUserProfile_en_us&lg=english&ct=united+states&product=home&version=1&pvid=f-home&entsrc=redirect_pubweb & proceed ahead with LU install

Eric_England
Level 3

VJware

I will try this

I also forgot to mention that I did extend the "ebnable automatic cancellation on friday to ssee today if it fixed anything

I will probably just disable that today for tonights job.

Installed Live Update succssfully.

Eric_England
Level 3

Installed liveupdate and patched completeley.  None of the changes I mentioned worked.

I got the following error today.  Backup continues to backup but fail again on a servers c and partial of d drive

Backup- D:
Media mount failed. User canceled a Physical Volume Library operation. V-79-57344-33861 - The media operation was terminated by the user

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Go to Tools ---> Alert Categories and check the Media Insert alert.  It could be that you have set an auto-response to reply no to the alert.  This will cancel the job if it requires another tape.

Eric_England
Level 3

No auto response set: Should I have something set in the "automatically clear alert" section?

I removed all windows updates that were installed after 1/9/2012.  Backup job started having issues on 1/10/2012

fginacio
Level 4
Partner Accredited Certified

to fix the live update error, run the follow command at command prompt inside of backup exec folder:

beupdateops -addbe -optout

after that, try again the live update thru backup exec program

(menu tools/live update)

keep me aware if this issue was resolved.