cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backupexec 2010-R3-Can I view backed up files ?

Learn_symantec
Level 3

Hi,

I was testing Backupexec 2010-R3 and found that I could not  view backup files in my backup server.

I was wondering, is it possible to view backup file ? Do I need to change any setting?

5 REPLIES 5

pkh
   VIP    Certified

I don't know what you mean by backup file.  If you want to see the media, then click on the Media tab and you can see the media (disk file or tape).  If you want to see the files that are backed up, then start a restore job.  In the selection list, you would be able to see the date of the backup and what files are backed up on that date.

Learn_symantec
Level 3

Hi, Thanks for reply.

"start a restore job.  In the selection list, you would be able to see the date of the backup and what files are backed up on that date."

I did that , I can select the file and restore it. However, before restore, I cannot open/read the file.

Hope it is clear.

teiva-boy
Level 6

No you cannot view or preview the file prior to restore.  You restore, and check to make sure it's the right file....  If not, you resotre a different one.  Frustrating actually when the darn users don't remember where they put the thing!  *mad*

I can't think of any mainstream product that does that.  Though I can think of some ediscovery tools that can read the catalog of backup applications so you can search the catalogs better.  Though it's doesn't search within a file...

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You can re-direct the restore of any file/folder.

If it is backed up by BE prior to the deletion, a copy would be in the backup until it is overwritten.

Learn_symantec
Level 3

Hi,

Rync/shell script can do that.

Anyway, if my fileserver is crashed , is it possible to restore it to different location?

Also, if someone delete a file after bacup, I want to keep copy of deleted file. Is it possible ?