cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2010 R2 and Hyper-V R2 Cluster backup

shipping-south
Not applicable

I have been trying to configure Backup Exec 2010 R2 to backup my Hyper-V R2 HA cluster (2 x Windows 2008 R2 Server Core) but have run out of ideas to get it working so need some help!

The configuration:

Media server is windows 2008 R2 (full GUI) with all windows updates and hotfixes: KB975354-v2 and KB975921.  Backup Exec is 2010 R2 trial with hotfixes: 358289, 140360 and 358410.

Media server has 2 NICs, one connects to LAN with Hyper-V servers other connects to SAN. Services/agents run under a dedicated domain account which has administrator rights on the server and the 2 Hyper-V servers.

Hyper-V Servers are Windows 2008 R2 server core with all windows updates and hotfixes: KB975354-v2 and KB975921.

SAN is EqualLogic PS4000.  EqualLogic Integration Tools 3.41 are installed on all 3 servers and connections possible to volumes.  Setup wizard run for access to VSS and snapshots seem to appear briefly during backup.

Job configuration is straight to tape (tested ok with basic backup).  Advanced disk-based backup is enabled with snapshot provider set to hardware, fail job after failure enabled, process logical volumes one at a time ticked.  Advanced Open File Option is off, and other options/settings left as default.

My issue seems to be related to offhost backup and Volume Snapshot (VSS) in Windows. When I run a backup job backing up 2 VMs in the Hyper-V HA Cluster the following errors show up:

Backup- TEST1 - ADBO: Offhost backup initialization failure on: "VRTSRV::\\test-csv.test.local\Hyper-V?HA?VM\TEST1".

V-79-10000-11225 - VSS Snapshot error. The Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS) snapshot provider that you selected does not support snap technology for this volume. Select another snapshot provider, and then run the job again.

Backup- TEST2 - ADBO: Offhost backup initialization failure on: "VRTSRV::\\test-csv.test.local\Hyper-V?HA?VM\TEST2".

V-79-10000-11225 - VSS Snapshot error. The Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS) snapshot provider that you selected does not support snap technology for this volume. Select another snapshot provider, and then run the job again.

I also get the following exceptions logged:

Backup- TEST1
V-79-57344-34108 - An unexpected error occurred when cleaning up snapshot volumes. Confirm that all snapped volumes are correctly resynchronized with the original volumes.

Backup- TEST2
V-79-57344-34108 - An unexpected error occurred when cleaning up snapshot volumes. Confirm that all snapped volumes are correctly resynchronized with the original volumes.

The servers have all been rebooted and no other errors or issues seem to be present in the event logs. Any ideas? Very frustrating...
1 REPLY 1

Gurvinder
Employee Accredited Certified

Refer www.symantec.com/docs/TECH67073 and www.symantec.com/docs/TECH66252

Also check the event logs. That might have some clue