cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2010 R3 Jobs Hanging

marcymarc24
Level 4

Hi, we have a Backup Exec 2010 R3 with SP1 installed running on a Windows 2008 server, we have some backups which are just hanging mid job!  No errors, the byte count just stops.

We are backing up to a local dedup disk folder with plenty of free space.  It is a small environment running VMWare Agent backups.

We have had backup success in the past.  The jobs hang at different points (last job stalled was on a verify check).  I've little experience with Backup Exec so if anyone can point towards what else I can check please help. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

marcymarc24
Level 4

I had a couple of jobs setup that had GRT enabled but we didn't have the agent installed on all the systems.  Since I didabled GRT on the job the backups have been working fine.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

Do you see any alerts in the Alerts tab.

marcymarc24
Level 4

Only space reclamation alerts, which I cleared.

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Are you using client-side or media server-side dedupe ? If running verify, it needs to be with media-server side dedupe as client-side dedupe is not supported with VMWare..

marcymarc24
Level 4

Media side dedup is set.

We had a few successful backups but we have seen the same issue again over the last two schedules.

Calis
Level 4

Hi guys, not hijacking the thread but I had the same exact thing happen last night on our dedupe diff job with the same setup.

Job is active, byte count stopped, no errors or alerts, plenty of space in dedup store, media-side dedup.
The last Full worked fine.

marcymarc24, are you able to check on the job log and see which server it was last backing up, or hung on, and see if then check the following:

- if there is still an actvie snapshot for that job on the server
- if your Job Rate is drastically lower then normal

Im also aware there was a hotfix for fix GRT or something similar for the vmware agent in the last month. Check hotfixs that came out after SP1: 167567, 164659, 170962, 171973

I have these installed but same issue.

If it can be isolated it may be something that needs a permanent fix from Symantec.

Shaun.

marcymarc24
Level 4

I had a couple of jobs setup that had GRT enabled but we didn't have the agent installed on all the systems.  Since I didabled GRT on the job the backups have been working fine.

DieGoettlichen
Level 3

Hi,

same problem here. We have several VMware machines, with RAWS installed. In the job properties we enabled GRT for files and SQL. The job will stuck somewhere, data rate is not changing and transfer speed not going down. Only way to fix this is to restart the Backup Exec service, since cancel will also stuck forever. If we disable GRT for SQL inside VMware machines, it works fine. We also checked that the service account used to connect to the machines is sysadmin in each SQL server.