cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2010 R3 Testinstallation - Tape/Jobs doesn't work

Stefan_vom_Hofe
Level 2

Good afternoon,

i installed a testversion of backup exec 2010 R3 on an ibm server x3200 M2 7328.

The Servewr is running MS Windows 2008 Standard R2. I installed all updates on OS and Backup Exec.

I just want to backup a folder from local to tape. The problem begins by running the tape inventory.The job runs about 5 minutes

and ends with a tape-alert. Here is the message:

----- TapeAlert-Ereignisse-----

Das Gerät hat die folgenden TapeAlert-Diagnoseinformationen ausgegeben.
Weitere Informationen zu TapeAlerts erhalten Sie beim Hersteller des Geräts.

Warnung - Beim Medienlaufwerk liegt evtl. ein Hardwarefehler vor.
Führen Sie das erweiterte Diagnoseprogramm aus, um das Problem herauszufinden.
Schlagen Sie im Benutzerhandbuch des Medienlaufwerks nach gerätespezifischen Anweisungen zum Ausführen von erweiterten Diagnosetests nach.
Wechsler: 
Laufwerk: IBM 0001
Schacht: 

Warnung - Beim Lesen oder Schreiben von Daten trat ein schwerwiegender Fehler auf. Dieser Auftrag wurde evtl. nicht erfolgreich abgeschlossen.
Wechsler: 
Schacht: 

Kritisch - Der Vorgang ist fehlgeschlagen, weil das Medium manuell ausgeworfen wurde, während das Medienlaufwerk mit Schreiben oder Lesen beschäftigt war.
Wechsler: 
Schacht: 

Kritisch - Der Beginn der Daten konnte auf dem Medium nicht gefunden werden:
1. Stellen Sie sicher, dass Sie das richtige Medienformat benutzen.
2. Entsorgen Sie das Medium oder bringen Sie es zum Händler zurück.
Wechsler: 
Schacht: 

Kritisch - Es besteht die Gefahr von Datenverlust:
1. Kopieren Sie alle benötigten Daten auf einen anderen Datenträger.
2. Verwenden Sie dieses Medium nicht mehr.
3. Wiederholen Sie den Vorgang mit einem anderen Medium.
Wechsler: 
Schacht: 

I don't think, that it is a problem with the tapes. I tried different tapes but the result is the same.

I get the same message when i try to backup data.

I tried to install the actuall driver for the ibm lto gen 4 sas tape drive - but the result is again the same.

How do i have to configure then the tape drive in backup exec? When i use the standard settings the ibm driver

will be replaced.

I tried different possibilities, but nothing works.

There are no entries in windows log files.

I can't find any hotline-number so i tried this forum.

Thanks for any help in advance.

Answers please in english or german.

Stefan

6 REPLIES 6

WoCom
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hi Stefan,

This looks definitely as a hardware problem.  Don't you have a diagnostic tool to test IBM drives?

Installing the vendor driver is not recommended, Symantec recommends to use their driver.

Regards,

Wouter

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

If you are using a library, make sure your OS is able to see medium changer also along with the tape drive. Robot will be listed as Unknown Medium Changer in device manger.

Use IBM diagnostic utility to test the tape drive. Before starting testing stop backup exec services. Make sure you select write test while testing the tape drive. If the utility finds any problem with tape drive, replace the drive....

Regards...

Stefan_vom_Hofe
Level 2

Hi Kiran, hi WoCom,

Ok i will drop the ibm driver.

Kiran, it sounds for me that you know the diagnistic tool.

Can you give me a web-link?

I only found a manual with diagnostic steps with the button in front of the tape drive.

Unfortunately it wasn't helpful for me.

Thanks for your fast answers!!!

Stefan

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

IBM ITDT tool can be used to test the functionality of the IBM make tape drives. Check in IBM site for the same.

EDIT: you can find it here: https://www-304.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=ssg1S4000662

Regards...

Grissom
Level 3

Gutten tag Stefan (my German is not good),

I had a couple of issues with my install of BE 2010 on server 2003 platform.

First was that Windows Removable Storage manager was claiming posession (my wording) of the tapes - I had to disable the service.

Second was my tape library. It has two LTO4 drives. These drives will read older tapes, but they will not write to tapes more than one version out: i.e. the LTO4 drive will write to an LTO3 tape, but not an LTO2.

Hope you find something helpful in this post.

Stefan_vom_Hofe
Level 2

Hello altogehter,

after use of the diagnoctic tool i contacted IBM Support with the result, that they will

change the tape drive. Anything else was OK.

Thank you all for your help an inspiration.

Stefan