cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2010 R3 Upgrade - Same Version?

neonate
Level 2

We've just upgraded from BE 2010 to BE 2010 R3 using an inplace upgrade (installed R3 over current install).  It completed successfully, but everying indication is that it didn't upgrade.  Help - About is the same version as before, the splash screen doesn't say 2010 R3, etc.

How can I verify that in fact it did upgrade?

12 REPLIES 12

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Go to Help ---> About ... and check the dialog.  If you have R3 then it would say R3.  Also, the build number for R3 is 5204.

neonate
Level 2

Thanks.  

It didn't change after the update.  Stayed the same version number as before. 

There were no errors during or after the upgrade.  I ran all hotfixes and updates prior to running the install.

I'll give it another shot tomorrow night.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Did you reboot the server after the update?

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

You can check the installation log file BKUPINST.HTM to see if there are any errors recorded in it internally (though its strange that it did not show error on screen)

The location of logt file is:

For Win 2003 Server : C:\Documents & Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\Backup Exec\Logs

For Win 2008 Server : C:\Program Data\Symantec\Backup Exec\Logs

Thanks,

-Sush...

Ellix
Level 2

Any sulution, i have rebooted the server and i cannot open the logs....

Ellix
Level 2

Any sulution, i have rebooted the server and i cannot open the logs....

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...run the upgrade again. Alternatively run a repair installation using Add/Remove Programs and see if this resolves it...

sbora
Level 6

What is the error when trying to open the Logs Directory? Please paste the screenshot of the error and screenshot of Help-About.

Ellix
Level 2

Here is the logs from installation. Have run the installation three times same logs every time.

Ellix
Level 2

Here is the logs from installation. Have run the installation three times same logs every time.

sbora
Level 6

The log only has above entries for the installation or you have just pasted a part of the log? 

Nick_Elmer
Level 6
Employee

Looking at the log file, there is a bunch of content missing that should be there for a regular upgrade install. So, I would suggest re-downloading the media. Put it on a local drive and run the install from there. Hopefully you are running the browser.exe from the root of the DVD and selecting to install Backup Exec from there. The log statements above are almost consistent with a double click of the MSI file. However, that should generate an error which would be logged.

The log is really strange. Its almost as though there is an older version of the product still registered on the system. When you upgraded to 2010, what version did you upgrade from? The BackupExecNamingService has not been used in quite a few releases. I would guess you probably upgraded from version 10.x or so. I would further venture to guess that for some reason, it didn't install correctly and left you with multiple versions registered on the system. Can you check in add/remove programs and see if there is any other version of Backup Exec registered besides 2010?

If you find that there are, I would be interested in collecting the uninstall log for the previous version. Its in our logs folder and contains a {guid}.log type of name. It would help me understand why this may be happening.

Thanks
Nick