cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2010 - SMTP Email Notification test causes Backup Exec Server service to stop

glenph
Level 2

Hi all,

Newbie here with a strange issue.

I have configured Backup Exec to point to our SMTP server and created a recipient to send to. When I test sending a notification I get the prompt that it has been queued for delviery but then the Backup Exec Server service stops along with the two other dependant services. I can start them myself afterwards without any issues.

Specs are as follows:

Windows 2003 R2 SP2 64bit, E5520 CPU, 8GB of RAM

Backup Exec 2010 - Version 13.0 Rev 2896

The services are set to run as the local system account, not a specific user.

Anyone else see this issue?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

6 REPLIES 6

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Well the very first corrective action that needs to be taken here is to change the service account of Backup Exec services.

All Backup Exec services should be running under the specific user account which has Domain Admin rights. Only the Backup Exec Remote Agent service should be running under the Local System Account.

Make the changes and then see if the services still crash while sending the test email.

Thanks,

-Sush...

glenph
Level 2

Hi Sush,

Thanks for the reply. I will look into that. The machine is currently not part of our network, it has been left in WORKGROUP rather than the domain. I will inquire as to why they want it that way, maybe I can change it.

In that instance is their another account I could use, such as the local administrator of the machine?

In the meantime I will look into making the machine part of the domain.

Thanks again for the reply.

Symc_Techie
Level 5
Employee

Yes, you can use the local administrator of the machine for all services except Backup Exec Remote Agent. Keep that on localsystem.

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

When we use the Local Admin account, the scope of using BE remains only upto the local server. Accessing your domain with the local admin account will give lots of Access Denied issues.

Thanks,

-Sush...

glenph
Level 2

That's good to know Sush. I kinda thought something like that might pop up. Even with the services running as the local admin except the remote agent service, the BE Server service still stops when testing the SMTP notification. Possibly an issue with the software? I haven't reinstalled it yet and rebooting is a PITA due to it being a production server and I have to get the Ok from 5 different people, bleh.

Another quick question about compatibility between BE and SMTP. Our SMTP server is a Windows 2000 Server and we have mixed versions of Backup Exec, like 9.1, 11d and 2010. It seems that our BE 9.1 works fine with the SMTP server but the newer versions do not send the notifications. I can see in the SMTP log that the commands are reaching it but nothing sends.

Could this be a compatibility issue? Everything else that uses our SMTP server works fine. I will do some more digging and I will try to use another SMTP server providied by our ISP and see if we get better results.

glenph
Level 2

Did some testing on the different versions of our BE installs and foudn that 11d and up versions did not work. Did a little search and found this Symantec KB:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH74943

We are in Newfoundland and the BE 2010 service crashes with the error listed for 64bit OS installs. Oh, I will see if I can test with changing the time zone.

Thanks all for the help.