cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2010 restoring mail items to Exchange 2003

mfehrmann
Level 3

I am having an issue restoring a few individual mail items to an Exchange 2003 server.  I am getting a V-79-57344-766 - Cannot log on to MAPI with the specified credentials. Review the resource credentials for the job, and then run the job again. 

I have read countless articles both on Symantecs forum, experts-exchange, and every google article I can find.  Nothing helps.

Does anyone have a fix for this? 

BE 2010R2 on Server 2008R2

Exchange 2003 on Server 2003 Standard

Using Domain Admin as BE User - Tried creating a new one just for BE only to still fail

Not hidden from GAL

Domain Admin, Exchange Admin, and every other Admin you can think of

Even tried deleting mail from my own account and restoring it only to fail with the same error

I've tried everything. Can someone help??????

8 REPLIES 8

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

May be you can try to run MFCMAPI on the Exchange 2003 server and confirm that the mailbox can be accessed using the MAPI.

Thanks,

-Sush...

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

I take it you have delegated Exchange rights in Exchange admin to that account?

Thanks!

mfehrmann
Level 3

So I spoke with Symantec and they were in my system for about 4 - 5 hours.  Turns out, I had Advanced Open File Option enabled on my Exchange backup.  The Symantec tech worker finally gave up and told me that because I had AOFA enabled, that item level restores were not possibe!!  Really Symantec!  So because I had AOFA I was unable to restore just a users calendar.  I am extremely unhappy and will soon be getting rid of Symantec for my backup software.  I gave up on their A/V product many years ago, and now will be ditching their backup software.  If AOFA causes this many problems when backing up Exchange, why is there not a huge warning about this?  So, for any of you having issues doing item level restores on an Exchange 2003 server, if you have AOFA enabled, just give up.  Their solution was to restore the entire infromation store, then use some Exchange tools to extract the items I want, then merge them in to my production information store.  No thanks.  That is not why I spend the money I do each year on a backup and RESTORE product.  This will be my last year using Backup Exec.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

They don't recommend you use it. I think it is somewhere in their documentation. The reason for this is that the DB agents have their own way or pausing the application DB to back it up. AOFO causes all sorts of issue, amongst others Exchange logs not committing to the IS, and SQL restores not being able to redirect to another server. I learnt that the hard way, made the change, and that was that. Problem solved.

That said, the guy is talking rubbish. Using AOFO in your jobs doesn't mean you can't restore your data. I used to get around this by staging my backups to disk manually, and then restoring from there. It was long-winded, but worked for me, and I still do that even though BE does it for you.

Check out the article, see if it helps you, and please post back with an update:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/restoring-exchange-or-individual-mailboxesitems-usi...

mfehrmann
Level 3

That article is step for step what Symantec did on my system.  We created a Duplicate Backup Set job, duplcated the backup to a local disk.  Then we attempted to restore from that media location rather than waiting for it to stage each time.  They had me creating new users, changing permissions, testing MAPI connection, everything!  Like i said, we worked on this for about 6 hours, and they elevated it to another person, the whole bit.  I really thought they were going to get it figured out, then all of a sudden he calls back and says because I had AOFA turned on it wasn't going to work!  So I turned off AOFA, did a backup of Exchange, deleted some of my own folders, and they restored no problem at all.  Went back and tried to again restore from the backup I truly need, and it failed, same MAPI errors.  I would love for someone to make this work, but I figured if Symantec tech support themselves gave up, then so did I.  I had to literally ask one of the owner of the company, to manually rebuild his calendar!  Not a good day for me.  And i put this 100% on Symantec's shoulders.  I've run AOFA on my Exchange backups for 8 years, luckily I've never had to do a restore with Exchange, but the one time I did have to do it, it doesn't work?  Really Symantec. 

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee

Can you please private message me the case number for your ticket.

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee

I've honestly never heard of AOFO causing an issue with individual item restores, so I'm not sure where that's coming from.  Thanks for the case number I'm going to look over the logs if we have any local.

mfehrmann
Level 3

In my research prior to opening a case with Symantec and posting on here, I came across a couple articles that had AOFA as a possible problem child with Exchange backups and restores when dealing with Exchange 2003 and BE 2010R2.  That is what led me to test backing up without it enabled, then trying a restore from a backup that didn't use the snapshot method.