cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Offsite Tape Backups - W/ tape drive not connected to media server?

ThunderIT
Not applicable

Hello. We currently backup B2D files to a large disk based storage DAS connected to the Backup Exec server. We also have a tape drive connected to the same server via SAS. We have duplicate jobs setup to back everything up to disk and then back the same data up to tape. Recently we have been asked to move the tape unit offsite to our DR data center. The two facilities are connected with a 500mb/s wan connection. With that said, here are my questions:

1) Is it possible to do what we want? Is there any way to have the Backup Exec server backup data to an offsite, non-directly connected tape drive using duplicate jobs? If not duplicate jobs, is there another way besides backing up raw b2d files with a second backup exec instance?

2) When we move the tape drive offsite i will be removing the SAS HBA from the Backup Exec server and putting it into another server in the offsite data center. Will this new server need Backup Exec installed? Or just an agent of some kind?

If what i want to do is not possible, what are your recommendations? We need to backup data to via B2D on our storage array but we also need to back that same data up offsite to tape. I'd like to avoid having to separate installs of BE if possible. I want to make data restoral as easy and quick as possible. Someone suggested backing up raw B2D files but that would essentially create two separate backup catalogs and would double the steps and time it would take to restore data.

Thanks!

1 REPLY 1

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

1) Is it possible to do what we want? Is there any way to have the Backup Exec server backup data to an offsite, non-directly connected tape drive using duplicate jobs? If not duplicate jobs, is there another way besides backing up raw b2d files with a second backup exec instance?

Only if the remote host is a Linux machine, and then only if you purchase a RMALS (*Remote Media Agent for Linux Servers).  I'm not sure 500Mb/s is fast enough to feed a current generation tape drive in any case