cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2010 skipping files that have recently been added to DFS

Noony
Level 4

Hi,

I have a virtual 2003 server hosted by ESX which controls the tape library and also contains backup exec installation. I backup over the network (with agent) from a remote vmware server two shares.

This has been working perfectly until I added the two shares to DFS to allow replication (data collention) to a central backup location. However since doing this backup exec job completes successfully but skips all files in the two shares.

My guess is backup exec thinks the files are in use. If so is there a way to still include these files as they are still available to the user community?

Thanks

Chris

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Backing up the Shadows copy component will only backup all the files under DSF

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

newsolutionBE
Level 6

Hi

From were are your doing backup of DFS is that under shadow copy -user data folder or from local drive

Correct way to backup DFSR would be to backup it below from shadow copy components

Thanks

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi Chris,

I take it you followed how to set up BE on an ESX host? That said...what data is being kept in the DFS? Backup Exec has Active File Exclusion (AFE) that automatically excludes files like *.edb, *.ldf etc during backups, and it's possible this could be why your backups aren't running correctly.

Did you select the DFS itself, or just the files?

Thanks!

pkh
   VIP    Certified

See the document below on how to backup DSF data

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH85354

Noony
Level 4

Thanks for the quick response.

Its a user file server. Normal type business data .doc ect.

The point is the backups have been working perfectly for months. As soon as I added the shares to DFS backup exec now skips all files within the share.

I did not change the backup job, do you think recreation would help?

pkh
   VIP    Certified

All you need to do is to backup the Shadows Copy Component.  You don't have to recreate your job.  See this document.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH85354

Noony
Level 4

So this will backup all data in the share not just the DFS components Conflict and deleted ect?

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Backing up the Shadows copy component will only backup all the files under DSF

Noony
Level 4

Ok thanks,

I will run the job tonight and be back to mark a solution when sucessful.