cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2010 with Deduplication and GRT

kpapreck
Level 4
Partner
Backup Exec 2010 does not support GRT if you are using optimized deduplication (sending backup copies to a remote site).  Is the best way to get around this to set up two PureDisk nodes that would handle the replication and have these as the D2D Deduplication storage pool for Backup Exec?
3 REPLIES 3

teiva-boy
Level 6
You may want to rephrase that to "Optimized dedupe doesn't support GRT."  There is a difference.

As for whats best...  You may want to reach out to a Symantec pre-sales engineer.  They have the skinny on upcoming features more so than the support folks a lot of times.  

kpapreck
Level 4
Partner
The symantec rep that I talked to said that Optimized Deduplication is like a Synthetic Full and didn't think that it would ever support GRT.  Have you heard anything differently?  He also mentioned that regarding SharePoint that the only way to recover individual files would be with GRT.  However he is a channel SE.  I do not have any Symantec contacts that are Pre-Sales Engineers specializing in Backup Exec to talk to. 

This PureDisk route just seems really overkill just to get GRT for SharePoint.  It is really adding a lot of complexity.

I was also told that the Microsoft Agent for Hyper-V is required if you want to back up the physical Hyper-V host.  For VMware I know you can get around this for a ESX customer with say 2 VM hosts.  You can just purchase the Remote Agent for Linux to back up the service console.  Is the Hyper-V service console important to back up?  I am just wondering because if the customer loses GRT, then what is the point of the Hyper-V agent (they only have 2 VM hosts per Hyper V server so at the pricing standpoint it just doesnt make sense)?

At this point would it make more sense to just make the customer all netbackup?

teiva-boy
Level 6
So use BE2010 to backup to a PureDIsk pool, and replicate the PureDisk pool...  But you would still need a BE media server on the other end right?  PD doesnt support GRT for sharepoint, only exchange.  So you would have to have another BE server at the remote site to restore from the now replicated data...

Yes it sounds overly complicated.  I hope that is not the case.