cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2010 with Hyper-V Agent and Hardware VSS Provider

Schluga_Oliver
Level 3

Hello there!

We have a Windows Server 2008 R2 based Hyper-V Cluster with 2 nodes and a HP MSA P2000 G3 SAS storage. Our virtual machines VMs reside on 2 cluster shared volumes. On both nodes we installed the HP MSA VSS Provider and BE Remote Agent. Our Backup Server is not connected to the SAN.

The Remote Agent is installed on the virtual machines too.

All related hotfixes are installed on the operating systems. Backup Exec Version is Backup Exec Version 2010 13.0 Rev. 2896 (64Bit)

We configured Backup Exec to backup VMs using the Hyper-V Agent. We selected the virtual machines under the cluster node and enabled GRT.

We started the backup but received some errors:

AOFO: Initialization error V-79-10000-11231: VRTSRV::\\... - Advanced Open File Option used: Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS).

AOFO: Initialization error V-79-10000-11230: VRTSRV::\\... - Advanced Open File Option used: Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS).

Backup Error V-79-32772-8979 0x80042313 - 0x80042313 (2147754771)

The cluster shared volume stays in state Online redirected (Backup)

My questions are:

Is the Hardware Provider MSA P2000 VSS 2.7.0.1 supported by Backup Exec in this configuration?

Do we need to active AOFO? Which is the correct configuration for backup a virtual machnie running on a hyper-v cluster using a cluster shared volume and hardware provider VSS?

Any help would be appreciated!

Oliver

6 REPLIES 6

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

If there are multiple VSS providers then you need to enable AOFO along with MS VSS +

System -MS snapshot provider.

Schluga_Oliver
Level 3

hi,

for my better understanding:

i have to enable AOFO with MS System snapshot provider to backup virtual machines on cluster shared volumes of a hyper-v cluster using HP StorageWorks VSS provider?

that sounds strange...

just to be sure, because the cluster is up and runnung in a production enviroment.

tia

Oliver

Schluga_Oliver
Level 3

choosing AOFO with MS VSS + System Provider results in error

V-79-57344-65072 - communication error e000fe30

do i have to install the AOFO feature on both nodes?

CJA333
Level 2

Any resolution to this?  This would be helpful to me as I am implementing Hyper-V with CSV and received this same error. 

Schluga_Oliver
Level 3

Hi,

hi, issue not solved. Backup using MS System Provider only works.

Backup using Hardware Provider works if the virtual machine uses one cluster shared volume.

Backup fails if virtual machnie uses two different csv - e.g. Virtual Exchange Server, one CSV for Operating System and one CSV for database the backup fails

I am currently having contact with HP 3rd level support, they are working on a solution.

Perhaps you should open a case on HP too?

Oliver

jxchen
Not applicable

Hi Oliver,

I experienced the same issue, and have been looking for an solution. Unfortunately, no luck so far. Have you fixed it?

Thanks,

Jackie