Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2012 Backup Strategy

daames
Level 3
Partner

Hi,

I'm working on an environment which includes two OST appliance and one dual LTO4 drive library. I try to configure BE 2012 as follow :

• daily incremental backup on OST appliances (monday, tuesday, wednesday, friday at 11pm)
  • weekly full backup on OST appliances at 11pm
  • duplicate the full on the library (following the full on OST) every friday 11pm on a media pool which stay in the library.
  • the first or last friday of the month, duplicated job media must be moved out of the library

How can I configure my jobs (one per server), media pools and backup center in order to work as described ?

Thanks in advance.

4 REPLIES 4

Tushar_kulkarni
Not applicable
Employee

Hi,

I would really appreciate if you could provide more detailed information on below points which will help us for further course of action.

1. Is this a CAS/MBES environment ? if yes then please briefly tell us about the setup configuration.
  2. More information about how the OST devices and LTO drive library connected to same media server or to any different server?

Looking forward for your reply.

-Tushar

Jaydeep_S
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

I am not sure if you have a single server BE setup or a CAS-MMS. Assuming single Backup Exec installation -

You will need to perform a full backup to get a baseline of how much data you are backing up. The check the total available space per OST applicance. This can give you a fair idea of how many backup sets can you retain. Also, as you have 2 OST devices and would be performing a Full/Incremental backups. I would not suggest you to go Device pool method for this. You could make 2 server groups to be backed up selerately on 2 OST devices and then duplicate this to the Tapes for longer or OffSite protection.

Nasharat_Maner
Level 4
Employee

Hi Danees,

Will this strategy help?

Jaydeep_S
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

To get the best advantage of Deduplication, I would suggest you to target Full and Incremental to the same target.

Also confirm from the 2012 HCL if your OST appliance is supported.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH175582