cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2012 Duplication to tape option

Bobbi
Level 3

Hi All,

We're using Backup Exec 2012 and currently our Backups are configured to firstly backup to disk and once completed to duplicate over to tape.  

Is there an option of some sort to tell Backup Exec not to duplicate to tape if backup to disk has failed?  It appears that even if the backup to disk had failed unexpectedly to disk (job log will report failed, however says it backed up 50%), the duplication will still go ahead and backup to tape.  

A scenario would be a Full backup to disk would occur over the weekend.  The backup to disk fails at 70% copied 420gig of data.  Then the duplication to tape kicks in and starts to backup to tape.  Obviously we don't want to backup a failed job to tape.  Is this a bug or am I missing a configuration somewhere?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Then this is by design Bobbi, or neglect. You can add this in as an Idea, and maybe with enough votes it will be considered going forward. No guarantees on this though.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/backup-and-recovery/ideas

THanks!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

CraigV

Hi,

I don't think that something like this exists...I know there is a retry option within BE, but as soon as that job completes (however it completes), the duplicate-to-tape will run. Have you checked out to see if there are any rules around this?

Maybe put this into an Idea?

Thanks!

Bobbi
Level 3

Hi Craig,

I did have a look at the Error-Handling Rules but there are no conditions.  I.E even if i setup rule for Full backup to disk to "retry" or "hold" if job fails,  the duplicate to tape will still go ahead.

Cacelling a job has the same effect which is silly.

CraigV

Then this is by design Bobbi, or neglect. You can add this in as an Idea, and maybe with enough votes it will be considered going forward. No guarantees on this though.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/backup-and-recovery/ideas

THanks!