Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2012 Licensing

Sajid_Siddiqui
Level 4
Partner

HI,

I have 3 ESX servers and in 3 ESX we have 10 Virtaul Machines on VM Load balancing feature in which we have Exchange 2010 and SQL servers with some fileservers as well in windows environment. I need to install BAckup Exec 2012. What licenses it requires?

My suggested llicenses is:

1 Backup Exec Media Server

3 agent for Vmware

3 Database and application pack.

One more thing which need to clearify is, If i have 1 ESX and in one ESX we have 3 VM's in which Exchange, SQL, Active Directory, so i need 3 Database and Application licenses or i just 1 Database and application pack is enough to take a backup of Exhcnage, SQL and AD?

Regards,

Sajid

7 REPLIES 7

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

1 Backup Exec Media Server.... right

3 agent for Vmware..... right (1 for each ESX)

1 Database and application pack..... 

One more thing which need to clearify is, If i have 1 ESX and in one ESX we have 3 VM's in which Exchange, SQL, Active Directory, so i need 3 Database and Application licenses or i just 1 Database and application pack is enough to take a backup of Exhcnage, SQL and AD?

--> One Agent and Database option is enough as that will activate all the three options as Symantec has now made it all in one option.

Thanks,

-Sush...

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Actually would require 3 application and database licenses...its one license per application/database :)

Vasilis_Peppas
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Depending on your configuration you can also use v-ray licsensing which is per cpu socket and everything is included with the added bonus of deduplication option. 

kirans
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hi

If you want to backed up database from each vmware instance then you need to purchase 3 database pack. For example : If you take a benefit of Exchange GRT restoration use database pack

Or use V-Ray License as Vailis suggesting above.

Obi_Wan
Level 3
Employee Accredited

Sajid,

I have sent an email to you.

There are new licensing models with BE 2012 and I will be glad to help you understand them so you can decide what is best for your customer.

Sajid_Siddiqui
Level 4
Partner

Hi All,

Thanks for your replies. Customer's basic need is to take backup of all the database servers i.e EXchange, SQL and Active Directory. they dont need Exchange GRT and as i informed you these machines are configured in 3 ESX servers so all above mentioned databases will rotate in 3 ESX servers as per load balancing. so What you guys suggested here?

3 Databas and Appliacation pack or only 1 would be enough?

Sajid

Vasilis_Peppas
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hi

I think it will be cheaper if you get the vray edition. Otherwise you will need 3 esx agents and 3 database agents.With v-ray you have one lic depending on your cpu cores and all the agents are included in the lic.

BR