cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2012 NDMP Option - Missing Restore selection list for NetApp

dant98
Level 2

I've recently been working on configuring our first set of NAS NetApp devices.  These are a pair of 2040 dual controller NetApps which we're going to use as file servers for our department data.  We'll be performing SnapMirror between two campuses over an encrypted fiber link.

We just upgraded our Windows backup server to BE 2012.  I'm trying to test the NDMP option (we haven't licensed this option yet, just using the 60 days trial).  I have the NetApp listed both as an NDMP client and I guess a "file server".  It looks like I'm able to successfully complete an NDMP backup using either server entry in backup exec, however I can't restore data from either of them.

When selecting the "File Server" the restore option is greyed out and the Backup Set list is empty.  When using the NDMP server listing, I can open the restore tool, but the "Select the type of data to restore" list is empty and I can't advance to the next step in the restore process.  It also has an emptry Backup Set list.

All of these backups were performed after the BE 2012 upgrade was performed.  Our 2040's are the latest supported release of OnTap (8.1 I think?).  In both cases the backup jobs indicate they completed successfully, including a file and byte count.

Are NDMP restores disabled under the trial license, or am I running into another strange problem here?  We were hoping to test the NDMP backup and restore before we threw down the money for the licensing.

-Dan

4 REPLIES 4

Backup_Exec1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hi

First of all what I see from above post isyou have added NDMP by file server & by NDMP server both the ways ,so it would be best to protect NDMP by agent way or just the file server way were you can backup only CIFS

Q

When selecting the "File Server" the restore option is greyed out

It would be good to remove the server from console & readd it back & then backup a small file & then check if that helps

Q

When using the NDMP server listing, I can open the restore tool, but the "Select the type of data to restore" list is empty

In this case have you tried expanding the date range in restore selection & then check

Thanks

dant98
Level 2

I'll remove the "File Server" entry then since it sounds like that's intended for CIFS backups (though BE 2012 seemed to backup using NDMP anyway).

I'll check the date range.  I didn't notice a date range option prior to entering the restore wizard, but I'll look again.

Just to clarify, if I were following the steps listed in the link below, then the list on Step 1 is empty (for the NDMP server).  The next button is therefore greyed out and I can't move to step 2, let alone step 3, which appears to be where you select your date range.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/simplified-restore-workflow-be-2012

On the entry for the "File Server" version, I can't even open the wizard (the restore button is greyed out).

-Dan 

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

There was a known issue which matches 'exactly' your issue...The solution is to update Backup Exec with SP1a...Either run LiveUpdate to install or download & install manually from http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH186717

dant98
Level 2

Oh.  It looks like we haven't installed SP1a yet.  We'll try that and get back with you.  Thanks!