cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2012 RAWS license requirements?

gparker
Level 4
Partner

Is the RAWS license free in Backup Exec 2012? I've entered my licences into BE 2012 and on the "add licenses" screen it tells me the quantities of agents for applications & databases as well as the agent for vmware & hyper-v etc, but there's no mention of RAWS licenses. Does this mean it's free?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Yes. This is correct.  However, if the VM's have applications like Exchange and SQL Server databases which you need GRT restores, then you would need 1 agent for applications and databases for each VM that needs it.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

pkh
   VIP    Certified

No. The agent for applications and databses comes with a RAWS licence , but the RAWS itself is not free. If you have a server with SQL databases and you buy an agent for applications and databases to backup the SQL databases on this server, this licence comes with a RAWS licence which means that you can backup the files on this server for free.  However, you have a server which you just want to backup files from, then you need to buy a RAWS licence for it.

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

No, you have to purchase license for Remote Agent for Windows Servers. It is not free. 

gparker
Level 4
Partner

Thanks. I'm led to believe that if the servers that I wish to backup are all VM's running under VMware and I've got the Agent for VMware and Hyper-V license installed on my BE server, this allows me to deploy RAWS onto all my guests without additional licensing requirements, correct?

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Yes. This is correct.  However, if the VM's have applications like Exchange and SQL Server databases which you need GRT restores, then you would need 1 agent for applications and databases for each VM that needs it.

gparker
Level 4
Partner

Cool, thanks very much. I've got 2 "agents for applications and DB's" licenses, for my Exchange and SQL VM's, so it all looks like I'm covered.

George.

Sagar_Kamat1
Level 3
Employee

Yes, each Backup Exec Agent for VMware license includes the licensed right to deploy Backup Exec Agent for Windows Systems (AWS) and Backup Exec Agent for Linux/Unix Servers (RALUS) to Guest virtual machines on an ESX host that has been licensed with the Agent for VMware. For applications & databases, you would need separate license. Please refer the link below:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH178479

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO74443