cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2012 - Schedule - Where is "Specific Dates" ?

CabarrusHealth
Level 3

We have a backup rotation where the months that have a 5th Friday use a "Week 5" backup job and get written to a "Week5" backup-to-disk folder. I cannot find an option to manually select dates in one backup job like I have been able to do in versions prior to 2012. Is the solution to create seperate jobs ?

thanks

3 REPLIES 3

Mandar_Sahasrab
Level 4
Employee

I just want to fully understand how you used 'specific dates' to achieve 5th week scheduling in prior versions of BE. My interpretation is that, you would anyways have had to configure a policy with two backup tasks such that,

1. First targetted to some storage location and had a monthly schedule of with first, second, third and fourth Friday selected.
  2. Second targetted to 'week5' backup-to-disk folder with 'specific dates' scheduling option in which you manually selected the date corresponding to 5th Friday of the month for months which had a 5th Friday.
  3. Also the rule task A supersedes task B whenever start times conflict' may or may not have been configured as the resultant schedules do not overlap.

Please confirm if this understanding is correct.

Thanks,
Mandar 

CabarrusHealth
Level 3

Thanks for the reply..

You are pretty close, we would actually schedule one job per storage location. So we would have a Week2 job that would run everyone 2nd Friday of each month to a Week2 backup-to-disk folder and then the next month it would be overwritten and the same for Week3, and Week4. Week5 is the oddball since only some months have a 5th Friday in them but I was still able to create one job and one storage location and have the job run on the specific 5th fridays as I would set it up for the next couple of years at a time.

As an example of Week5 job and Week5 storage , in backup exec 2010 I could select run on; 6/29/12, 8/31/12, 11/30/12, 3/29/13 etc..

What it appears I need to do in 2012 version is to create an independent backup job (i could still reuse same storage location) for each 5th friday?

If this is the case, it is not a big deal, i just want to validate i am recreating my backup schedule properly, but the other thing was when i upgraded from 2010 to 2012 it didnt transfer the 5th Friday date properly but turned it into a recurring date of every 76 days which was wrong. So maybe this issue is a bit of a bug with the upgrade process and possibly a feature request for future version/patch.

thanks

Mandar_Sahasrab
Level 4
Employee

Thank you for sharing the details. To address your two questions,

1. Independent backup job - I guess you are refering to creating multiple One Time Backup job set to run on each of the possible dates corresponding to 5th Friday. This should give the desired effect, but please note that such independent backup jobs would not participate in the full-incremental / full-differential chains.
  2. Upgrades - As is already seen, BE 2012 doesn't support specific dates as a recurring schedule option. So the nearest approximation to accomodate specific-dates-only schedule, during upgrades, was to find some repeat pattern and convert it to daily schedule with n day repeat interval.

I have already circulated the scenarios that you have mentioned within our team. Thanks once again!

Regards,
Mandar