cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2012 Service Pack 1a Released

Turls
Level 6

Backup Exec 2012 SP1a has been released today. Backup Exec 2012 Service Pack 1a will replace/supercede the previously released Backup Exec 2012 Service Pack 1.

Here is a TECHNOTE that contains a list of known issues and enhancements resolved with Backup Exec 2012 revision 1798 Service Pack 1a.

120 REPLIES 120

Rogo
Level 2

Thank you for your response vi-mikec. Pretty much what I expected but wanted to be sure.

We're a local city government and with our budgetary restrictions I'll have to wait until next year before I can purchase a solution that works. Grrrrrr......

vi-mikec
Level 2

to Bill Felt @ Symantec:

You sent me the following private message in response to my last posting but clicking on the lick to reply back to your message gets an error which says "Access Denied".

Hello vi-mikec,

I am interested in following up with our support organization in regards to your support ticket. Can you provide me with your ticket number?

Thanks.

My ticket number is 418-784-161

Bas_Lips
Level 3
Partner Accredited

I can say i'm not sure what to think of these fast Service Pack releases. Especially 1a shortly after 1. Doesnt make me advise customers to upgrade to 2012.

zak2011
Level 6

HI,

I got an issue which i almost thought was resolved in Service pack1a. Unfortuanetly its come back again yesterday.

Jobs disappear from Backup Exec 2012 Console and a warning is noticed towards the bottom left hand corner in the console "The query for Job View failed".

This has been addressed on the following technote

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH185878

Unfortunately although i have sp1a installed, all my jobs have disappered yesterday.

Hemant_Jain
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

This condition is seen after you delete a job or two out of a set of jobs you have created using multiple job edit feature of Backup Exec 2010. For example, if you select three servers and click edit backups to create multiple jobs for servers at a time. After some time, you go delete one of those jobs, you may get into such condition. However, if the jobs are created after SP1a, you should not get into this issue.

Could you please confirm if these are jobs created after SP1a or prior to that?

As far as this issue is concerned, you may want to contact Tech Support to get you out of current situation.

zak2011
Level 6

. I deleted two jobs which were not needed anymore and i started getting this problem, these jobs were created prior to sp1a.

Jeff_Zankofsky
Level 5
Employee

The fix is really just to prevent the problem from occurring. If you already were seeing the problem prior to installing the SP, you will need to call Support. They should be able to clean up the Backup Exec database to keep this from happening in the future.

zak2011
Level 6

Thanks Jeff for the reply. After i installed BE2012 a few months back, i got this problem and when i contacted support they said that many customers were facing the same issue and a fix was on the way. The Advanced support took a webex session, ran a query on the Backup SQL database for jobs with a particular schedule id and deleted those jobs and  cleaned up the database. Then they asked me to apply the fix. Once i applied the fix they told me the issue would not recur again. Unfortunately this has happened again after deleting a job. I have already contacted support yesterday. They have escalated the problem to Advanced techincal support. I understand that the support would repeat the process of cleaning the Backup Exec database and delete jobs having the problematic schedule ids. However since the problem recurred even after service pack 1a was installed, doesnt it mean that cleaning up the database is just a temporary fix? What can be done to prevent this from happening again?

Hemant_Jain
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

As you say:

I deleted two jobs which were not needed anymore and i started getting this problem, these jobs were created prior to sp1a.

That is the issue we don't have resolved yet. So, to explain the issue, prior to SP1, multi edit feature had a problem because of which two jobs started to share a schedule. After SP1, this should not happen. However, if you have those old jobs and you delete one of them, the schedule is still gone. At this point, the fix will be to run the script again to have things back normal. Once that is done, would recommend avoid deleting any jobs created prior to SP1. New jobs will not be an issue.

okay_
Level 2

tested 2012 in our testenvironment and all worked fine. Updated to SP1 all worked fine since 4 weeks. Installed a new machine for produktion 2012 worked fine. Liveupdate to 2012 SP1a nothing is working. It is not possible to start the beserver.exe. Eventlog says: EventID 7000 -

The Backup Exec Server service failed to start due to the following error:

The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.

What can I do at the moment?

Thanks!

zak2011
Level 6

I contacted Symantec Advanced support and they solved the issue by running the script.

And as BEsymc advised they recommend not to delete jobs prior to SP1a.

Thanks!

Boris_Minakov
Level 3

Hello, i have made a clean install of BE 2012 on Windows 2008R2. Then live update to SP1a + Latest Hotfix 

I still have Remote agent crashing everytime i what to backup ESXI 5 (vSphere 5) machines. It fails when "updating catalog" is running, here is a log:

I have tried:

1) Backup Exec 2012

2) Backup Exec 2012 + SP1

3) Backup Exec 2012 + SP1a

4) Backup Exec 2012 + SP1a + Latest Hotfix

All these four variation had the same result:

Faulting application name: beremote.exe, version: 14.0.1798.0, time stamp: 0x4f1e02d7
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 6.1.7601.17725, time stamp: 0x4ec4aa8e
Exception code: 0xc0000374
Fault offset: 0x00000000000c40f2
Faulting process id: 0x1168
Faulting application start time: 0x01cd6c9a6dd800e0
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\beremote.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
Report Id: fd9412e8-d88f-11e1-aabd-005056c00008

Boris_Minakov
Level 3

Any one?

David_Palmersto
Level 4

There are some beremote 'issues' fixed in this 2nd (latest) hotfix for BE 2012 SP1a

Let us know if it fixes your issues.

Boris_Minakov
Level 3

Not good news,

NTDLL.dll is faulting less after second update, but new error came:

Faulting application name: beremote.exe, version: 14.0.1798.0, time stamp: 0x4f1e02d7
Faulting module name: vixDiskLib.dll, version: 3.1.0.1732, time stamp: 0x4df28b73
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x000000000009be77
Faulting process id: 0x1184
Faulting application start time: 0x01cd71813fff788c
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\VMware\VixDiskLib\bin\vixDiskLib.dll
Report Id: 9ac62dbe-dde9-11e1-9e62-005056c00008

Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 6.1.7601.17725, time stamp: 0x4ec4aa8e
Exception code: 0xc0000374
Fault offset: 0x00000000000c40f2
Faulting process id: 0x1ab0
Faulting application start time: 0x01cd71fb331a242e
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
Report Id: e179c6df-ddef-11e1-9e62-005056c00008

Boris_Minakov
Level 3

Today after futher investigation, i have found that BERemote service crash when backuping a virtual machine with File and Printer Services installed. I have disabed backup of this machine, and it done all others.

Maybe this is not a main problem, but i am still investigating if it is random or on specified machine.

VM has installed :  File and Print Role, Symantec System Recovery 2011, Symanteg Remote Agent, VM  tools

Also i have notices an error for Symantec System Recovery 2011, if File and Print Service Role is instaled i can not create a Lightout Restore Boot option. This happans only on Windows 2008R2 (Have tried many times installing from a null) Symantec System Restore 2013 RC 2 has fixed this issue, but anyway

Also all my enterprise is Protected with Mcafee Virus Scan 8.8 may it cause an issue, as i know there were some problems? (From Mcafee Forums, they removed VSE from Exchange 2010 as it was killing BE agent)

But i dont get any errors in Mcafee Log

Boris_Minakov
Level 3

Also strange behavios for machines with SQL 2008R2 :

V-79-57344-38260 - Unable to create a snapshot of the virtual machine. The virtual machine may be too busy to quiesce to take the snapshot.

Job ended: Saturday, August 04, 2012 at 12:38:57
Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xe0009574 - Unable to create a snapshot of the virtual machine. The virtual machine may be too busy to quiesce to take the snapshot.
Final error category: Resource Errors

For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-38260

chudless
Level 4

You guys are lucky, I can't even get acknowledged by Support even though I've paid for it !!

Boris_Minakov
Level 3

BE 2012 seems having problem with VM, collecting and updating catalogs. even with BE agent and VM tools, installed on a guest machine

ofcource you can do it using directly a BE remote agent, and not as ESX host. but  we have paied for an Agent, so .... Still strugling for Fix. I will try to reinstall BE on 2008, and 2012 RC system to see if this error produces on 2008R2

Will play around

chudless
Level 4

Can you start another discussion, this is not relevant to my posting