cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2012 Sharepoint Backups

JordanCSH
Level 3

Hi Guys,

I just had a quick question I hoped someone would be able to answer.

I currently run sharepoint 2010 which runs from Hyper V machines. I backup all the servers via BE2012 using the Hyper-V agent. I can see from this option I can also use the Granular technology for sharepoint and wondered if this was the same as the Sharepoint Agent licence.

Basically I have a sharepoint Licence for BE2012 as well and wondered what the benifits where from running this as well as the hyper - v backups with GRT selected.

Kind Regards,

Jord 

2 REPLIES 2

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

If you didn't have the Sharepoint agent, you would not be able to do a Sharepoint GRT backup.
In other words, wou would only be able to restore the complete VM/files, not individual files within Sharepoint.

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Lets take 2 scenarios:

1) You have only Sharepoint License : In this scenario you will have to configure a seperate job and take the backup of Sharepoint ServerFarm. This will give you the ability to restore individual Sharepoint items. But for your other data on the server you will have to create another job and backup that data.

2) With HyperV and Sharepoint: Now as you have Shrepoint on HyperV VM, you just need to take a Single Pass backup of your Hyper-V VM and it will give you the feature to restore individual Sharepoint items too. So you save on time and space.

Thanks,

-Sush...