cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2012 Vmware agent backing up Exchange 2010 DAG

mholko
Level 2

Hi there,

I was hoping that someone here could give me an answer on this. Ive been told multiple answers on this all different and just wanted to know. 

I have an Exchange 2010 setup in a DAG across two Exchange servers at differnet locations. I am trying to backup the primary Exchange server with Backup Exec 2012 via the BE VMware agent. I want to get a an image of the Vm server incase of a disaster. Im also using a BE Exchange agent to backup the mailboxes daily separatley.

Anyway I have been told that backing up an Exchange DAG with the VM agent is not possible but then others have told me it is.
Can someone please let me know.

Thanks so much.

4 REPLIES 4

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You would need to use the Exchange agent to backup Exchange if you want GRT restore.  This is because your DAG is spread over 2 machines and just backing up the VM's will not give you GRT.

mholko
Level 2
Hi thanks for getting back to me. I just want to backup the VM server using the BE VM agent. I don't necessarily want to use GRT backing up using the VM agent. Does using the BE VMware agent work on a server in a DAG?

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Sure

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

I believe you should be able to backup your Exchange servers with GRT of Exchange disabled so that you have a way of recovering the VM. You will then need to follow that VMware backup with an Exchange Agent Full backup of the Information stores in the DAG.