cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2012 and Exchange 2003

JAZServices
Level 2

We upgraded our tape unit to larger capacity, etc. and with it purchased a new server.  The new server is Windows Server 2008 R2 Sp1.  It is my understanding that we cannot load the Exchange Management Tools for Exchange 2003 on this OS.  So, can I use Exchange 2010 management tools and backup my Exchange 2003 stores (we currently do not have an Exchange 2010 server but are planning the move for later in the year).

Thanks!

--Joe

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

If I am not mistaken, you do not need the Exchange Management Tool to backup Exchange 2003.  It is only required for Exchange 2007 and 2010.

The SCL does not have any caveat for Exchange 2003

BE 2012 SCL

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

pkh
   VIP    Certified

If I am not mistaken, you do not need the Exchange Management Tool to backup Exchange 2003.  It is only required for Exchange 2007 and 2010.

The SCL does not have any caveat for Exchange 2003

BE 2012 SCL

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Here is a link for Exchange requirements - http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO73784

And one other thing, BE 2012 supports Exch 2003 with SP1 or SP2 and not the base vanilla version

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee

That is correct, the management tools are not required for Exchange 2003.

JAZServices
Level 2

Awesome.  Difficult to tell from the chart and we had the old Backup Exec backing up to disk for the time being and I didn't want to remove the old version to install the new agent and then have to reverse it all when I found out it didn't work.