cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pre Command always fails

JessePAIT
Level 3

I am using Backup Exec 2010 R3 to back up our main Exchange database server.  This server has an older 12.5 installation on it that I'm not allowed to remove.  I've found that every couple days my backup jobs will fail and that I have to restart the remote agent on my Exchange server to get a successful backup to complete.  To avoid doing this manually I wanted to add a pre command to run a batch file to restart the Remote Agent services.  Here is what is in the bat file.

net stop "Backup Exec Remote Agent for Windows Servers"
net start "Backup Exec Remote Agent for Windows Servers"

When my job runs to execute this bat file I can see the service stop and then start but my job always fails saying:

Error: Could not start Pre Job Command 
 C:\Scripts\restartbeservices.bat 
. Error (0): The operation completed successfully.

What can I do to fix this?  The command looks like it's successful so I'm not sure what the issue is.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

I suspect your issue is caused because it is actually the remote agent that is responsible for calling the batch file, hence you are killing the calling parent process before the child process has ended which will result in unexpected or not designed for behaviour.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

I suspect your issue is caused because it is actually the remote agent that is responsible for calling the batch file, hence you are killing the calling parent process before the child process has ended which will result in unexpected or not designed for behaviour.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You should convince the powers-to-be to let you upgrade the remote agent.  If you don't upgrade, you would not get whatever improvement or fixes that BE 2010 brings.