cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2012 backup VM error

steven_man
Level 5

In our environment, I installed serveral Backup Exec 2012 server to backup VM  with GRT option to deduplication storage.

All OS of selected VM are support for GRT, such as Windows 2003 and Windows 2008.

Then I created several backup jobs to backup VM. All backup jobs can be ran successfully.

But sometimes the status of backup jobs was failed with the following errors at the end of backup job. Somestimes the backup jobs was successful without any errors.

Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xe00095b4 - Incremental\\Differential backup methods are not supported for this VM. The backup job failed, since the option 'to fall back to a full backup' was not selected.
Final error category: Resource Errors

V-79-57344-38725 - One or more virtual disks contain volumes that do not support Granular Recovery Technology (GRT). Granular restores cannot be performed for these volumes.

Are two different errors are related to the same issue?
Two errors must happen at the same time?
Are they Symantec known bugs?

The backup jobs has been enabled the following option"

"Use the full backup method for virtual machines that do not support incremental or differential backups"

Why the error "Incremental\\Differential backup methods are not supported for this VM. The backup job failed, since the option 'to fall back to a full backup' was not selected" still happen?

Is the error caused by last full backup failed on some of VMs (not all VMs) selected in backup job?

For example, the backup job contains 10 VM. If previous Full backup suddenly failed to backup particular 2 VMs, do subsequent incremental backup can fall to full backup?

When previous Full VM backup failed, will the above two errors be found in subsequent incremental backup ?

Do I need to re-run the same Full backup job before subsequent incremental backup in order to eliminate the backup error? or  need to create another backup job to include 2 failed VM to run Full backup?

9 REPLIES 9

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hello Steven,

The error"0xe00095b4 - Incremental\\Differential backup methods are not supported for this VM" is not specific to any one scenario. Since you are using BE 2012 please ensure that HF is installed as that issue is resolved in the Hotfix 180964 as mentioned in the following technote:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH188713

If you are still facing the issue even after installing the HF180964 then please refer to the following technotes:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH193564

Thanks,
-Sush...

steven_man
Level 5

Hi Sush,

I have install all latest hotfix before.

And about the following URL:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH202428

That mean it is know issue. Is the error message is informational (wrong alert), actual error? Did the backup sucessfully ? Can I ignore this message? 

Sush---
Level 6

Hello Steven,

No. You can not ignore the error message. Your backups are not successful. I would suggest you open a official case with Symantec support to further investigate this issue in depth.

Thanks,

-Sush...

steven_man
Level 5

Thanks Sush.

I have some questions about the following scenarios:

For example, the backup job (Job Name: 10 VM Full Backup job) contains 10 VM. This Backup is configured to run Full backup and incremental backup. If previous Full backup suddenly failed to backup particular 2 VMs,do subsequent incremental backup can fall to full backup?

The backup found the following errors:
================================
Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xe00095b4 - Incremental\\Differential backup methods are not supported for this VM. The backup job failed, since the option 'to fall back to a full backup' was not selected.
Final error category: Resource Errors

V-79-57344-38725 - One or more virtual disks contain volumes that do not support Granular Recovery Technology (GRT). Granular restores cannot be performed for these volumes.

================================

When previous Full VM backup failed, do I need to re-run the same Full backup job (Job Name: 10 VM Full Backup) before subsequent incremental backup in order to eliminate the backup error? 
do subsequent incremental backup job can  fall to full backup in case of previous full backup failed?

Can I create another backup job (Job Name: Re-run Full Backup job) to include 2 failed VM to run Full backup instead of run the previos backup job  (Job Name: 10 VM Full Backup)? Because it solve to shorten the backup time, no need to re-run all 10 VMs backup. Will this reun backup job affect the job  (Job Name: 10 VM Full Backup) to run incremental backup?

Sush---
Level 6

Hello Steven,

If the Full backup of those VM failed then during Incremental it will take the Full backup for those VMs. Also if you run a Full in between then the next Incremental will link to your Full which is taken in between. Meaning udring restore from those Incremental you will require the Full backup which is taken in between.

Thanks,

-Sush...

Mange_24S
Level 3
Partner Accredited

For the virtual machine with the top-most error about inc/diff not supported, what Hardware Version do you have for that VM. If you click edit settings in vcenter for that VM you see it in the top-right corner of the window.

For the virtual machine that have the other errors about volumes not supporting GRT, do that server have;

1. Independent disks

2. Mounted RDM's in vmware

3. GPT disks?

4. Dynamic disks?

BR/Magnus

steven_man
Level 5

Hi Sush,

Assume tha following job created

Job 1: Full and Incremental VM for Guest OS named "web"

Job 2: Full  VM for Guest OS named "web"

can incremental backup of job 1 link to full backup of job 2?

Hi Magnus,

VM hardware version is 8. No VM with independent disk, RDM, GPT disk and dynamic disk.

Mange_24S
Level 3
Partner Accredited

HW version 8 should have no problem with the changed block tracking feature that is used for the incremental backups in vmware. Has been supported from hw version 7 I think.

And the different unsupported disktypes are not in place, must be some other error.

Regarding the jobs you have setup, if there are two different jobs running the same backup of the whole virtual machine they will interfer.

CBD changed block tracking in vmware is turned on by BE during the first backup. Vmware then keeps track of changed block in the vmdk-files. When incremental backup starts it queries the CBD for what blocks that needs to be backed up. If a seperate backup job defnition has done a full backup  between incrementals it will interfer. Do not mix different jobs backing up the same source the same way.

If you tell us what you want accomplished with the different jobs backing up the same source maybe we can advise another way of creating the same result.

steven_man
Level 5

The reason is that I create two differenr backup jobs to backup same source (VM) as below:

For example:

Backup Job #1

Backup Soucre: 20 VM.  

Backup duration: 10 hrs

Backup Schedule: 10 PM , every Monday - Fri (Incremental Backup), Sat (Full Backup)

19 VM backed up successfully but one VM (hostname: Server1)  in Backup job #1 backup failed on Sat night.

I want to re-run Full backup for that VM failed (hostname: Server1) in Backup Job #1 in the Sun morining . So I create backup job 2 to backup one VM.  Because re-run backup job #1 (20 VMs) spend much more time  that re-run backup for 1 VM.  So 

Backup Job #2 : 

Backup Soucre: that VM failed in Backup Job #1  (hostname: Server1)

Backup duration: 20 min

Is this setup is working? Will Backup job 2 affect the next incremental Backup job 1? Do you have any improvement and advice?