cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2012 disable client side deduplication

GRB
Level 3
Partner Accredited

I am running Backup Exec 2012 to a dedupe folder.  The job completes with exception with the message "Client-side deduplication is enabled for this job, but it could not be used. Please check this link for additional information: "

The only place I can see to disable client side dedupliation is on the deduplication device under the Storage tab.  I have done this.  Client-side deduplication is set to Disabled on the Properties tab of that dedupliation disk yet I still get that message on several jobs.

I have also tried to enable it and disable it.  Same results.

How can I get rid of this message?

Thank you.

8 REPLIES 8

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

Check the TN below to see if this helps you at all:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH77683

Thanks!

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Verbatim from TECH77683

In BE 2012, by default the Deduplication storage is set for Client-side, some time even after it is disabled on the device, the job will still try client-side Deduplication resulting in giving exception in the job log. To resolve this, first set the job to use server-side and then disable the client-side option on the Deduplication storage under Devices.

GRB
Level 3
Partner Accredited

I have checked the issues in the TN article.  Most do not apply to BE 2012.  And as I stated in my originial post, I have tried to enable and disable client side deduplication but still get the same message.

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Have you tried what was suggested in my earlier comment ?

If yes, have you tried recreating the backup job ?

GRB
Level 3
Partner Accredited

If you are referring to setting the job to enable client-side dedupe, yes.  I believe I mentioned that in my original post and again in my last post - "I have tried to enable and disable client side deduplication but still get the same message.".

I have recreated at least one of the jobs. 

mmattmann
Level 3
Partner Accredited
Hi Are there any entries in "Servers that share this device" dropdwon in the dudup folders properties? If not, client side deduplication will not work.

GRB
Level 3
Partner Accredited

I don't see that as an option in BE2012.  Where do I find that option?

mmattmann
Level 3
Partner Accredited
You find it in the dedup Folders properties. On the right side in the top.