cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2012 running on a VM

Januk2000
Level 2
Certified

I have a Backup Exec 2012 Server (Windows 2008R2) running as a VM which backs up to a Dell Depuplication Appliance. We currently backup the server to this appliance. I have noticed that the backups are exceeding 200GB on a daily basis which is filling up the appliance. It is a CASO server and I do have a MMS server (physical) with a tape drive attached. I want to use the tape drive to backup the server but I am unsure if I set a backup from the tape drive to do a VM backup if it will break Backup Exec 2012. Does anyone know the best way to back this up? Also I could backup the CASO server only on a monthly basis deleting the previous months to save space.

Let me know if any of you guys have come across this any what is the best way of backing this server up.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

Why do you have a CASO configuration with 2 servers?

Strictly speaking, running BE on a VM isn't supported if addressing real physical devices.

If you were able too, you should consider reconfiguring as follows:

1. dissolve the CASO environment;

2. Present the Dell appliance to the physical server.

3. Reconfigure backups to run to the appliance, and from there you can look at duplicating to tape on a schedule which gives you longer retention and offsite storage.

You do away with the ESO license as well as an additional media server license along with any other agents on the VM.

You run a supported configuration.

Alternatively, you need to look at your Append/OPP settings and make sure they are correct. 200GB per day as a change rate is very large as things stand.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

Why do you have a CASO configuration with 2 servers?

Strictly speaking, running BE on a VM isn't supported if addressing real physical devices.

If you were able too, you should consider reconfiguring as follows:

1. dissolve the CASO environment;

2. Present the Dell appliance to the physical server.

3. Reconfigure backups to run to the appliance, and from there you can look at duplicating to tape on a schedule which gives you longer retention and offsite storage.

You do away with the ESO license as well as an additional media server license along with any other agents on the VM.

You run a supported configuration.

Alternatively, you need to look at your Append/OPP settings and make sure they are correct. 200GB per day as a change rate is very large as things stand.

Thanks!