cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2012 taking to much time taking a backup /Slow

Jhoer236
Level 2

hi, 

I have a BE 2012 installed on a windows server 2008 R2 standard .  seems to be the backup is taking to much time. compared to my other site offices. 

some info  on my current setup

BE2012 on windows server 2008 R2 standard Sp1  Intel Xeon 2.0 Ghz  24GB ram 64bit OS

TandBerg T24Robotic tape library connected to the server via SAS cable. 

Netapps filer with approximately 2TB needs to be backed up. 

I need to take a backup of the files stored on the Netapp with approximately 2tb data on it.   and i have tried CIFS and NDMP backups. 

CIFS is just a nightmare as it is taking an ave. of 400mb/mins of backup.  while NDMP takes an average of 650mb. i am not still satisfied as compared my other backup. 

right now im on 2012 trial version with NDMP agent installed. will purchase the license (2015) once i get satisfied with my setup as we always do. 

help me pls so i can proceed with this setup. 

5 REPLIES 5

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...any AV scans of the BE services? Put in exclusions if so.

You might also want to read the solution from teiva-boy below:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/using-ndmp-option-backup-very-large-netapp-volumes-i-...

Thanks!

pkh
   VIP    Certified
You should not test BE 2012 and implement BE 15. There are quite different. If your intention is to implement BE 15, then you should be testing BE 15.

Jhoer236
Level 2

@pkh I did the testing on the BE15 for the CIFS and NDMP until the trial expired Installed BE12 and was hoping there would be a change on BE12 as our other servers are running on BE12 in my other site office . 

@craigv would try that and exclude the services, We are running Symantec Endpoint protection.. 

I did also stop the snapvaulting on the netapps when i did the testing but it didnt change anything (speed wise) 

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Are there lots of small files on the NetApp ?

Does breaking the backup job into multipl job selections help ?

Is ndmpd.tcpnodelay.enable ON or OFF ? If OFF, does enabling it help ?

Jhoer236
Level 2

Basically we are a construction/fabrication company and most of our files consist of an average of 1-10mb .dwg files 

i havent tried breaking it up. But i did try taking a backup of a single folder with 200gb on it but the result is the same. 

Is ndmpd.tcpnodelay.enable ON or OFF ? If OFF, does enabling it help ?  -  would check on this. i would try ot enable it later and run a test backup.