cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2012 using all the memory

ComputerMan2177
Level 3

I have an extremely odd issue that just started happening a few days ago.  I have Backup Exec 2012 (Version 14 Rev. 1798) running on a Windows Server 2008 R2 box that is also my file server and domain controller.  I came in Wednesday and noticed I did not get my automated email that tells me the backup job had completed successfully.  I got on the server and seen that the bengine.exe process was using 98% of RAM and the backup job was still running.  I rebooted the server and the backup ran fine after the server came back online and finished as usual.  However, its done the exact same thing the last 2 days, but since its my DC and file server I can't just reboot it once employees start showing up so the backup isn't completing.  I restarted all backup exec services today and manually fired off the backup and this is what I've found:

-Initally the job says "Ready, no backup exec servers found"

-After about 5 minutes the job actually starts running and the memory usage is only about 10%

-The transfer rate starts at about 850MB/min and then goes down about 1MB every 3 seconds until it gets down to around 450/MB min

-Eventually the backup shows it has backed up the same amount of data as whats on the server, so almost like it has completed the job

So sounds good right?  Problem is that the job never completes in Backup exec and it just sits there, maxed out at 231GB (which is all my data).  The transfer rate continues to climb and climb and climb along with my memory usage until it eventually maxes out my memory.  I looked on my media and it looks like all the data is there so it seems like the problem is Backup Exec is having an issue with finishing/closing the job.  Does anyone have any idea what this might be from?

4 REPLIES 4

lmosla
Level 6

Run Live Updates to make sure all the hotfixes and service packs have been installed. If any updates are made push out the remote agent to the remote servers.

hope this helps

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...if you have an antivirus installed, put in an exclusion to omit the BE services from scanning. Then try the backup again.

Thanks!

ComputerMan2177
Level 3

I checked the liveupdates and it shows there are no outstanding updates.  As for AV, we just use the basic install of SEP so it isn't blocking any applications.  This worked fine up until a few days ago.  I did notice that the network location to store the DR file was pointing to a server that no longer exist.  I'm not sure if this snuck back in the setup or if its always been this way so I changed it to a legitimate path and will retry the backup again.

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Would you pls confirm as to which updates are installed. At least SP4 must be present. (Sometimes, LiveUpdate erroneously mentions no updates are outstanding)

Secondly, even a basic SEP install will scan every processes. It's always better to add \Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec & \ProgramData\Symantec\Backup Exec as exclusions which could not only help now, but will prevent any issue due to AV in the future.

Third, if its a SDR-enabled backup, then this could just be it as BE will try to create the .DR file but probably is unable to since the location isn't present anymore.