cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2012 with Oracle agent

Sajid_Siddiqui
Level 4
Partner

I have a Oracle 10g and 9i server in oracle 10G servers i dint configure RMAN and i need to take a backup from Backup Exec 2012. How can i take a backup? Should RMAN configure for taking backup with BAckup exec 2012?

Kindly Explain in detail.

Sajid

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Backup_Exec1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hi

But there is no way by which you can backup oracle without RMAN configuration also I have explained how the backup process is done in short so you can understand its importance

Thanks

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Backup_Exec1
Level 6

Hi

Rman does not have ability to transfer backup across network that why it requires 3 rd party utility like Backup exec or Netbackup. Backup Exec ,beorasbt.dll communicates with rman and sends the command to take the backup rman receives that command and it starts initiating the backup and contacts backup exec media managment which in turn would be communicating with the remote agent and then transfer the backup either to disk or tape

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH49969

Best Practisces

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO74434

Hope that helps

Thanks

Sajid_Siddiqui
Level 4
Partner

Thanks Sameer,

Its mean without RMAN configuration we cannot take an Oracle backup? But I remember i took a backup of Oracle 6i or 8i DBs from OLD Backup Exec without RMAN configuration. Is there a way to take a DBs backup without RMAN configuration.

Thanks

Sajid

Backup_Exec1
Level 6

Hi

But there is no way by which you can backup oracle without RMAN configuration also I have explained how the backup process is done in short so you can understand its importance

Thanks

Sajid_Siddiqui
Level 4
Partner

ok i got it now.

Thanks for your detail information.

Sajid

Sajid_Siddiqui
Level 4
Partner

Dear Sameer,

I understood that without RMAN configuration we cannot take a backup of Oracle on Tape Library but can i take backup of oracle on disk without RMAN configuration?

Regards,

Sajid