cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2014 - Backup job keeps adding external hard disks after being told not to

psh8989
Level 2

Hello!

I'm working with Backup Exec 2014 on Windows Server 2012 Standard. We recently upgraded this server from Windows Server 2008. As part of our corporate backup plan, we have two external hard drives connected to this server. One external hard drive is swapped out daily, the other is swapped out weekly. They contain no data from the actual backup server, but rather house backup data from a different server. 

Here's the problem. Each time I swap out one or both drives, the backup job that backs up the server on which Backup Exec operates attempts to add the external hard drive I plug in and attempts to back all of its content up when the job next runs. I have tried manually excluding the drives as well as adding global excludes on the drive letters they use. with no luck. Either I manually edit the job each time I switch out the drives to exclude the external hard drives or it attempts to backup 2+ TB of data to tape, which is really not ideal.

Any ideas??

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

Refer to the below forum thread.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/backup-exec-2014-backing-backup-drive-error

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

Refer to the below forum thread.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/backup-exec-2014-backing-backup-drive-error

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Are these disks used by BE?

psh8989
Level 2

Yes, the disks are both used by BE. They are used for a separate server backup job, however. Backing them up to tape again is a big redundancy and takes up a -lot- of time. 

Trying the fix suggested in the other thread.

psh8989
Level 2

Looks like the solution mentioned in the thread in the first comment worked. Thanks!